Closes: The position is open until filled with applications reviewed beginning Tuesday, October 1, 2019. Status: Regular Full-time, 40 hours per week; Exempt FLSA status.
Salary: The starting salary and decision to offer the position at an Assistant or Associate level will be made at the end of the recruitment process, based on the experience of the selected candidate. The starting salary range is $52,000- $69,000 annually, DOE, with full benefits.
Location: Puget Sound Regional Council; Downtown Seattle, Washington
The Puget Sound Regional Council is the regional transportation, growth management and economic development planning agency serving Seattle and the central Puget Sound. The thriving region is home to over 4 million people and is one of the nation’s fastest growing metropolitan areas. PSRC brings together the region’s diverse counties, cities and towns, native tribes, ports, the state of Washington and civic interests to understand the challenges facing our region’s future and make plans for the region to continue to succeed. The agency serves as the region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization and is the regional leader for growth management, transportation, and economic development under state and federal laws. Visit www.psrc.org to find out more. PSRC is an equal opportunity employer.
PSRC is seeking an Assistant/Associate Data Analyst to join its Data Science Group in the Data Department and perform a variety of data analytics and data engineering tasks under supervision. A qualified applicant for this position will have exceptional technical and communication skills, keen interests in scripting and data analytics to support complex planning and policy questions, and enthusiasm for learning new techniques and tools to tackle dynamic problems with data.
The position will conduct statistics, scripting, data analyses, visualization, and other data-related tasks using demographic, economic, land use, and transportation datasets. It will also involve written and oral communication of analytic needs, processes, and findings, and provide general assistance for data engineering work in support of modernizing the agency’s technical capabilities. Additional responsibilities include conducting database development and maintenance tasks, performing quantitative and qualitative research, and responding to information requests from external member jurisdictions and organizations. The position will conduct the following tasks:
- Use statistical, spatial, and other diagnostic techniques for data analysis.
- Develop computer programs to help process and clean data, manage databases, and perform statistical analyses.
- Collect, process, organize, and manage a wide variety of planning-related data.
- Visualize data through maps, charts, and other graphical displays to help examine and transform data into easily digestible forms.
- Perform research, synthesize and summarize analytic processes and findings, and make recommendations to improve planning data analysis and processing.
- Ensure high quality and maintain proper documentation for data products.
The ideal candidate for the Assistant/Associate Data Analyst position will have:
- Demonstrated experience in statistics and data analytics. Ability to apply statistical, spatial, and/or other technical skills to analyze data to answer planning and policy questions.
- Familiarity with Python, R, SQL, or other scripting languages is highly desirable.
- Ability to adapt to the changing data science landscape, learning new techniques, software and scripting languages as the needs arise.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Excellent attention to detail, organization, and problem-solving skills. Able to coordinate between multiple and diverse work tasks with limited supervision.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and with the general public and planning professionals.
Experience and Education:
Minimum Requirements for Assistant/Associate Data Analyst:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mathematics, computer science, economics, geography, statistics, planning, or related field.
- Or, any combination of education experience in a related field that would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and ability required to perform the job.
- The voluntary and confidential Equal Employment Opportunity, Applicant’s Invitation to Self-Identify – Veteran Status, and Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms are appreciated for applicant tracking purposes.
- For application materials, please visit:
- Completed materials can be emailed to email@example.com
To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and completed, signed PSRC application.
faxed to 206-587-4825, or mailed to:
Puget Sound Regional Council, attn: HR 1011 Western Avenue, Suite 500 Seattle, WA 98104-1035
About the Puget Sound Region
Spectacular natural surroundings, world-class education systems, thriving urban centers, vibrant neighborhoods and a lively arts and culture scene are just some of what makes the Puget Sound region an exceptional place to live and work. Ringed by snow-capped mountain peaks and crisscrossed by waterways, the Puget Sound region is a commercial center and a major hub for Trans-Pacific and European trade. Some of the world’s most successful and innovative companies are based here, including Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon, Boeing, Costco, Paccar, Weyerhaeuser, Nordstrom, and many more. Outdoor activities are especially plentiful given the region’s natural beauty and mild climate. Hiking in the Olympic or Cascade mountains, kayaking on Lake Union, or cycling on one of the many rails-to- trails paths are just a few of the options available. Washington is viewed as a progressive and innovative state where people are outgoing and friendly.
PSRC provides a compensation package that includes a salary and benefits that represent approximately 30% of an employee’s total compensation package. Benefits- eligible employees at PSRC are provided a wide range of benefits including:
- Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Short-Term Disability (STD)
- Long-Term Disability (LTD)
- Washington State Public Employees Retirement Systems (PERS)
- Employer-match 457 Deferred Compensation
- Personal Time Bank (PTB)/Vacation Pay
- Holiday Pay
- Family Medical Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
- Military Leave
- Transportation Incentive Plan (TIP)
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Life Assistance Program (LAP)
- Long-Term Care (LTC)