This is a full time position with the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO)/City of Durham, NC. To work with the general public, private sector, and regional agencies; as well as, local, state and federal governments in delivering a multi-modal transportation system. This is accomplished by performing model specifications, estimations, calibrations, validations, maintenance, traffic demand forecasts, policy analysis, traffic simulations, and scenario testing. Other duties include providing technical support for the transportation system performance measures and need assessments; prioritizing the Transportation Improvement Program and Long Range Transportation Plan; and presenting scenario outcomes and project results to the regional technical and policy stakeholders.
Salary Range: $59,046.00 – $91,533.00 Annually
Work Days/Hours: Monday – Friday/8:30am-5:00pm/37.5 Hours Weekly
- Develops, updates, and maintains computer models and programs, including, but not limited to travel demand model, traffic simulation model, land-use model, and strategic plan model; provides modeling support for transportation studies; develops model specifications and estimates; performs model calibrations, validation, programming, and maintenance; prepares forecasts; analyzes technical and policy-related data; conducts traffic simulation studies and testing scenarios; and reports model results.
- Develops and maintains the MPO data management system to include developing data collection and processing procedures, conducting needs assessments, and developing and tracking system performance measures.
- Serves as a project manager for technology projects; evaluates and recommends project priorities; determines project scope; identifies project cost and budget; monitors staff or consultant work and participation in project; reviews deliverables and makes recommendations for improvements; and ensures adherence to project schedules, budgets, and other applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Prepares, maintains, and/or reviews technical and other reports, records, and documents; researches and analyzes highly technical data; develops and makes recommendations; reviews work and the work of others to ensure accuracy, completeness and compliance with applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Collaborates with the public, vendors, and City departments and/or external agencies; assesses needs and provides technical model assistance; and serves as consultant and subject-matter expert with regards to transportation modeling.
- Manages and supervises technical activities for Multi-Million Transportation Capital Investment.
- May lead the work of interns to include monitoring and directing work activities, managing schedules, mentoring and coaching.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Transportation Engineering, Transportation Planning, Math, Applied Math, Statistics, GIS or a related field.
- Five or more years of experience of professional experience that includes one or more of the following: traffic simulation development, computer programming, data analysis and interpretation and travel demand modeling.
Additional Preferred Skills
- 3 years of experience with travel demand modeling.
- Computer programming skills (VB, JAVA, C++ or similar), and database programming.
- Proficiency in statistics, including logit model.
- Experience in land use model, especially UrbanSim.
- Experience in TransCad and GISDK.
- Experience in modeling with related datasets, such as InfoGroup, StreetLight and AirSage Datasets.
To apply for the position, please click the link below and follow the instruction on the webpage,