The City of Kent Public Works Department is currently accepting applications for the position of City Transportation Planner. The ideal candidate will be able to effectively communicate with the public, elected officials, management staff and other stakeholders regarding transportation issues. The City Transportation Planner needs to be capable of working independently to oversee a variety of transportation-related projects and plans, while remaining sensitive to time and budgetary constraints. If you have the education and experience to perform the critical functions of this position, we welcome your application!
**A cover letter and resume are required with your online application in order for your application to be considered complete. Uploading your resume to auto-fill portions of the application does not automatically attach it to your application. Incomplete applications may not be considered for this position. Please note that you cannot attach documents to your application after it has been submitted. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your online application, please call our office at (253) 856-5270 and we will do our best to assist you.**
This full-time, benefited position is not represented by a union. The vacancy is open for application submissions until filled.
$101,000- $123,053 annually; dependent on experience
Under the direction of the Transportation Engineering Manager, perform senior-level, transportation planning duties related to the preparation of short and long range transportation plans, policy development and implementation, development of project funding strategies, grant planning and strategy development, interdepartmental planning coordination, and county, regional and state coordination. This position also oversees the City’s Commute Trip Reduction Program and supervises the Commute Trip Reduction Coordinator.
Work is characterized by senior-level professional duties specializing in transportation planning, intergovernmental relations, program management, and supervision. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Revises, updates, and amends the Transportation Master Plan which is the Transportation Element of the City’s Comprehensive Plan
Annual updates and amendments to the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
Lead interdisciplinary coordination efforts on transportation project development
Participate in state, regional, county staff boards and committees
Regional coordination and collaboration on interjurisdictional planning efforts
Coordination with King County Metro and other transit providers on transit network development, project planning, and funding
Support elected officials on regional and county transportation boards, commissions, and committees
Respond to inquiries from the public on planning efforts and future transportation projects
Make presentations to a wide variety of audiences including but not limited to elected officials, consultants, staff, other agencies, and the general public.
Supervise the Commute Trip Reduction program and the City’s Commute Trip Reduction Coordinator
Work is performed with limited supervision. The supervisor sets the overall objectives and resources available. The incumbent and supervisor will work together to develop projects, and tasks to be completed, and deadlines. The incumbent is responsible for transportation planning efforts at the City. This requires the incumbent to develop and implement processes and projects with clear objectives, tasks, deliverables. This also requires the ability to interpret and apply city, regional, and state policies. While oversight is limited, the incumbent is responsible for establishing and maintaining effective communication with decision-makers and subject matter experts. Due to the nature of planning, this role requires extensive interdisciplinary and interdepartmental coordination and communication to deliver projects. The incumbent keeps their supervisor informed of progress, potentially controversial matters, and issues with far-reaching implications. Work is reviewed in terms of feasibility, compatibility with other work, and/or effectiveness of results.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Oversee the development and coordination of transportation related projects and plans.
Implement the annual update process including required interdepartmental coordination for the Six-Year Transportation Improvement Program to include updating project descriptions, budgets, and funding opportunities. Also, update city elected officials and city leadership and coordinate with the Law Department and the Clerk’s Office to develop the draft document and ordinance.
Develop, collect data, conduct outreach, and perform analysis and project prioritization to inform updates and amendments for the Kent Transportation Master Plan (TMP), which is the Transportation Element of the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
Act as the program manager for transportation planning studies; develop and oversee scopes of work, budgets, and project schedules. Develop and implement public outreach plans.
Perform professional planning, research, and analysis for local and regional transportation plans to meet development goals in the City.
Compile and review information and other materials for public meetings, including but not limited to the council meetings, public hearings, workshops, and open houses.
Work with other departments, outside agencies, and elected officials in the development of information related to transportation issues and policies.
Review and evaluate transportation needs assessment studies.
Develop grant strategies, review criteria, and develop potential projects for consideration by the Mayor, Council members, Chief Administrative Officer, and City management.
Collaborate with other public works divisions and city departments to prepare grant applications to be submitted for County, State, and Federal funding competitions; administer grant applications to ensure successful grants complete the planning requirements before design engineering takes over.
Research, review, and track grant funding opportunities to implement the Transportation Master Plan.
Compile and analyze statistical and technical information and data to inform decision-making.
Prepare written documentation concerning transportation planning processes, transportation projects, internal and external collaboration, and related activities.
Review and analyze materials for regional transportation boards and committees (e.g. King County Regional Transit Committee, PSRC Transportation Policy Board, PSRC Executive Committee, PSRC Regional Project Evaluation Committee, South County Area Transportation Board, etc. to 1) support the Mayor, Council members, Chief Administrative Officer, or management that serve, and 2) convey potential impacts to Kent decision-makers.
Participate in county, regional and state staff-level boards and committees to ensure Kent is actively participating in policy and process setting that will impact Kent (e.g. PSRC Freight Advisory Committee, PSRC Transportation Demand Management Committee, King County Project Evaluation Committee, etc.)
Review and provide comments on regional plans involving transportation (e.g. King County Metro Strategic Plan, Metro Connects (King County Metro Long Range Plan, King County Metro Service Guidelines, PSRC’s Vision 2050, Sound Transit Long Range Plans).
Provide the Mayor, Council members, Chief Administrative Officer, and managers with policy analysis for regional transportation decision-making concerning transit, transportation investments and grants, transportation system development, and related political positioning which involve long term impacts to the City, regional partners, and the public.
Prepare information and recommendations concerning resolutions and ordinances and associated regulations, procedures, and standards.
Prepare and deliver presentations using oral, written, and/or multimedia formats to a variety of audiences including but not limited to, Council Committees, City Council, regional staff, and the other departments.
Supervise the Commute Trip Reduction (CTR) Coordinator.
Provide guidance and technical expertise to the CTR Program Coordinator and CTR Program.
Actively support the vision, mission, values, and goals of the department and City.
PERIPHERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform other related duties as assigned.
SUCCESSFUL INCUMBENTS FOR THIS POSITION WILL:
HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE OF:
- Planning principles and practices with special emphasis in transportation planning, grant strategy and public outreach
- Development and administration of transportation policies
- Current trends, legislation, and other developments in transportation planning
- Transit planning
- All aspects of urban transportation planning principles and practices (streets, transit, non-motorized, and the relationships to land use planning.
- Socio-economic implications of transportation and land use.
- State and federal multi-modal transportation and transit planning principles, procedures, and regulations and legislative and funding processes.
- Technical aspects of transportation planning and grants strategy
- Municipal government policies, procedures, structure, operations, and objectives
- Applicable local, state, and federal laws, codes, regulations, policies, ordinances, and procedures
- Research methodology as applied to the collection and analysis of planning and traffic data
BE SKILLED IN:
- Communicating effectively both orally and in writing
- Using research and analytical methods, practices, and procedures to define and resolve issues
- Interpreting and making decisions in accordance with ordinances, governmental regulations, and policies
- Thinking conceptually; observing and evaluating trends; analyzing data; and drawing logical conclusions
- Demonstrating effective interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy
- Maintaining records and preparing reports
- Preparing and delivering oral, written, and multimedia presentations
- Training, supervising, and evaluation of personnel
HAVE THE ABILITY TO:
- Analyze, interpret, and report research findings
- Work independently with little direction
- Compile current transportation data and future trends into a usable information system
- Interact professionally with the public on a regular basis
- Interpret administrative guidelines and apply them to work situations
- Coordinate with other public agencies including, but not limited to, the Washington State Department of Transportation, Puget Sound Regional Council, Sound Transit, King County METRO and local municipalities
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, other agencies, and the public
- Communicate ideas clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
- Plan, organize, and coordinate work on projects with team members
- Prepare comprehensive reports
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Read, interpret, apply, and explain codes, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Oversee multiple and evolving priorities and establish schedules and deadlines
- Make public presentations
- Supervise, train, provide work direction, and evaluate to others
SKILLS FOR THE POSITION MAY BE GAINED THROUGH EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION, RELEVANT JOB EXPERIENCE or a COMBINATION, SUCH AS:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in transportation planning, urban planning, or public administration, with emphasis on transportation coursework or a closely related field; and
Experience: Six (6) years of professional transportation planning.
LICENSES AND OTHER INFORMATION:
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification is highly desirable
- Master’s degree in planning or related field is desirable
- Valid Washington State driver’s license, or the ability to obtain within thirty (30) days of employment
- Must successfully pass the City’s pre-employment driver’s records check; successfully complete the City’s Defensive Driving Course; and maintain an excellent driving record
- Must successfully pass a Washington State Patrol background inquiry
The City of Kent is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Link to job posting: https://jobs.kentwa.gov/city-transportation-planner/job/18251733