The Wasatch Front Regional Council (WFRC) is the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and Association of Governments (AOG) for the area of Salt Lake, Davis, Weber, Morgan, Tooele and southern Box Elder Counties in Utah. WFRC builds consensus and enhances quality of life by developing and implementing visions and plans for livable communities, a strong economy, a healthy environment and a well-functioning, multi-modal transportation system.
WFRC is seeking a full-time Communications Manager to manage WFRC’s strategic communications, community outreach and public involvement activities. The individual in this position will help to shape policy and funding in transportation and related land use and economic development issues that are vital to the future of our region, state and nation.
The successful candidate will be comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment to address the challenges and opportunities of being one of the fastest-growing states in the country. The Communications Manager will lead WFRC’s communications efforts related to regional transportation planning and implementation, land use and economic development.
The successful candidate will be adept at creating and executing a strategic communications plan. The Communications Manager will serve on the organization’s leadership team and report directly to the WFRC Executive Director. The WFRC Communications Manager will have the following responsibilities:
- Develop and implement effective communications plans, including community outreach and public involvement activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with local, state and federal officials and staff, along with other public, private and community partners. This includes WFRC members and staff.
- Prepare or review presentations and other materials for internal and external delivery.
- Actively manage and oversee public and media relations, including preparing communications for public distribution through traditional and non-traditional media channels.
- Oversee WFRC’s public involvement efforts with partners and stakeholders, including local governments, community groups, business organizations, traditionally under-represented populations and the general public.
- Participate in developing and communicating policies and programs designed to advance WFRC’s strategic goals and short- and long-range plans, including implementation of the Wasatch Choice Regional Vision.
- Oversee the work of WFRC’s communications
Desired skills, abilities, and knowledge
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail, with ability to think and act strategically.
- Flexibility to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of and experience with public relations and media relations practices and methods.
- Governmental awareness and expertise, allowing for the effective management and navigation of politically sensitive issues.
- Ability to multitask on complex projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of and interest in comprehensive regional transportation, land use and economic development planning.
- Professionalism, integrity and a passion for public
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree (advanced degree preferred) in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Advertising, or related field; AND
- Five (5) years of relevant experience related to above duties, two (2) years of which must have been in a lead or supervisory capacity.
Compensation and benefits
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience and responsibility
- Pension through Utah Retirement System
- 401k / 457 with employer match up to 7.65%
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurance
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays and paid personal days
- Flexible work schedule and remote work options
- Office location in a walkable and bikeable area accessible by foot, bikeshare, scooter, bus, light rail, commuter rail and auto
- Region known for offering urban amenities in close proximity to world-class outdoor activities
Application open until filled with the first screening of applicants on August 9, 2021.
Those interested in this position should submit a letter of interest briefly outlining their experience and qualifications (one page) and resume by email to Amber Gonzales at, email@example.com. For further information, contact Amber Gonzales at (801) 363-4250 x1122. For general information please visit our website at www.wfrc.org.
The Wasatch Front Regional Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.