General Position Description: Consultant will perform reviews as assigned by the Director of Historic Preservation, review and analyzes historic preservation requests for compliance in best practices. Assist the public in the application process for Certificates of Appropriateness (COA); review applications and petitions for COA in historic district(s); conduct site visits and inspections of properties for COA compliance; provide staff support and present recommendations to various Historic Preservation boards for consideration. Conduct Section 106 reviews under the City’s programmatic agreement with the State of Georgia Historic Preservation Office, and the Secretary of the Interior’s Standard for Rehabilitation. Must exercise initiative and judgment in carrying out work programs and objectives.
1) Prepare and present staff recommendations to the various boards of the Historic Preservation Department on properties located within Savannah-Chatham County.
2) Provide technical and strategic expertise in historic preservation to promote the viability and reuse of historical buildings and/or landmarks for municipal use.
3) Review COA applications for properties located within the historic district or historical site of Savannah-Chatham County for compliance with local historic preservation ordinances.
4) Prepare and present detailed staff reports on development proposals to various Historic Preservation boards.
5) Review Master Plan and Guidelines when evaluating, new markers, monuments, and public art.
6) Prepare nominations for structure(s) to be designated as a historic district.
7) Coordinate community educational programs to preserve the City and County historic resources.
8) Present staff reports on historic preservation items to various Historic Preservation boards, City Council, County Commission, Metropolitan Planning Commission, and the Zoning Board of Appeals.
9) Handle logistics for annual HDBR Retreat, archiving, mapping.
10) Review ordinances amendments, coordinate grant writing.
1) Bachelor’s degree in historic preservation, architectural history or urban planning, or a degree in a related field and five (5) years planning experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties as listed.
2) Five (5) years increasingly responsible professional planning and Historic Review experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1) Knowledge of principles and practices of local history, architectural history, construction material and techniques
2) Skill in reading architectural drawings.
3) Ability to identify potential historic site/districts.
4) Ability in determining the integrity and significances of sites/districts.
5) Ability to organize multiple tasks, interact with the public, and meet scheduled deadlines.
6) Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of private and public meetings.
7) Ability to make sound assessments and recommendations based on research and application of ordinances.
8) Knowledge of computer applications and techniques as necessary in the completion of daily assignments.
9) Ability to produce written documents and presentations with clear and concise thoughts, using proper sentence structure, grammar, and punctuation.
10) Ability to use available resources to ensure efficient and timely completion of duties.
1) Must possess and maintain a valid class C driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
2) Attend community meetings to meet the need of the MPC and Historic Preservation.
3) Report to Director of Historic Preservation on assigned projects and events.
Email resume and cover letter including salary requirements to: Pamela Everett, Assistant Executive Director, Compliance & Operations, Chatham County-Savannah Metropolitan Planning Commission, email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: Consultant Principal Historic Preservation Planner. Open until filled.