Data Analyst, Principal
Transportation Access and Mobility Group
Center for Livable Communities
OPEN DATE: October 20, 2021
CLOSE DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) is the regional planning and intergovernmental coordination agency that focuses on issues critical to the region’s success, including growth and development, transportation, water resources, services for older adults and workforce solutions. ARC is dedicated to unifying the region’s collective resources to prepare the metropolitan area for a prosperous future. This is done through professional planning initiatives, the provision of objective information, and the involvement of the community in collaborative partnerships.
This Data Analysis Principal class is the third level in a five-level Data Analysis and Modeling Series devoted to providing technical support and professional analysis for the agency’s data collection, analysis, forecasting and modeling, capabilities, and functions.
The Data Analysis and Travel Demand Modeling Principal within the Transportation Access and Mobility Section is responsible for working on highly complex and visible enterprise-wide data modeling tools, forecasting and analysis. The principal will work on mission critical enterprise programs and/or functions. As assigned, work will include collaborating with team members; developing long- and short-range forecasts; participating in advisory, training and technical assistance; consulting with partners and stakeholders regarding data interpretation, trends, and application to planning initiatives; working contracted consultants; planning, convening, facilitating and/or chairing meetings; ensuring that work programs and outcomes meet established goals; serving on technical committees; overseeing project implementation; and serving as a representative of the agency to member jurisdictions, outside agencies and the public.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Participate in RFP process for consultant selection; participate in consultant selection committee; review scope of work and contractual deliverables;
• Work with large datasets; analyze data; summarize data and use software and other techniques to present findings;
• Conduct needs assessments; support training on models and use of statistics;
• Provide technical guidance and support to users; develop and update data and analytics; respond to data requests, and thoroughly document ARC’s travel demand modeling technical procedures;
• Identify new technology products; provide recommendations to managers and/or decision-makers;
• Perform other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned, including staff workforce development, knowledge sharing and model documentation;
• Run and trouble-shoot the ARC regional activity-based travel demand forecasting model and participate in roadway and transit network coding.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES:
• Techniques and methods for organizing, prioritizing, assigning, and monitoring work;
• Practices and methods of coaching and leading the work of others;
• Principles and practices of systems administration;
• Principles and practices of project management;
• Principles and practices of the software development cycle, including the GitHub open-source software tracking and coordination platform;
• Principles and practices of data analysis, including “Big Data” manipulation, probe data analytics (such as NPMRDS), travel survey data, Census data (ACS / CTPP), R and RStudio, Jupyter Notebook, etc.;
• Principles and practices of modeling including travel demand modeling software such as CUBE, TransCAD, Visum, Emme, and map development in GIS, including the use of geo-database for roadway and transit network coding;
• Principles of database development and administration, including the manipulation of large matrices;
• Principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis;
• Principles and methods of qualitative and quantitative research;
• Principles and practices of data gathering and analysis, including data visualization;
• Best practices, trends, and emerging technologies;
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, regulations (based on assignment);
• Customer service principles;
• Specialized equipment relevant to area of assignment;
• Modern office technology;
• Programming language such as Java and Python;
• Regional Activity-Based Travel Demand Forecasting Model Development & Applications, including ActivitySim, as well as model calibration & validation;
• Model integration with land use model (such as PECAS and UrbanSim), air quality model (EPA – MOVES3), toll optimization, dynamic traffic assignment, freight modeling, and other peripheral / ancillary models such as externals model, air passenger model, as well as other ones such as FTA- STOPS model and REMI – TranSight model.
• Master’s degree in business, economics, statistics, urban planning, computer science, information technology or related field
• Three years of experience in data collection and analysis and associated technical support, which may include programming, based on assignment.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
In addition to the detailed examples of responsibilities and abilities contained herein, all employees of the Atlanta Regional Commission are expected to model behavior consistent with the guiding principles outlined in our Evolution Strategy. Specifically, incumbents are responsible for demonstrating work habits that are:
1. Interdisciplinary by promoting professional and interpersonal connections and integration across functional disciplines;
2. Holistic by seeking expertise within the team, Group, or Agency to produce his/her work output, and demonstrating a strong understanding of and support for interrelationships between their work and the work of others in the team, Group, or Agency;
3. Actionable by continuously striving to improve his/her capabilities to produce sustainable outcomes, and displaying a strong need for achievement and a high energy level to attain goals;
4. Outcome Based by taking the initiative to meet goals and expectations, and consistently striving to produce tangible results with significant visible impact, and;
5. Targeted toward Ensuring Colleagues’ Success by willingly and deliberately providing his/her expertise to others in an effort to build and sustain effective internal and external working relationships, and by modeling behaviors that consistently demonstrate concern for colleagues’ success, needs, respect, trust and integrity.
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: $58,604 – $99,627 (no SS deductions except for Medicare portion, approx. 1.45% of salary)
ARC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion or disability in employment or the provision of services.
Link to job posting: https://careers.atlantaregional.com/