Beloit, WI (pop. 36,966) and Greater Beloit WI/IL (pop 112,000), located on the Wisconsin and Illinois border, is a regional community with a proud legacy of strength, beauty and diversity. The City is seeking an experienced economic development professional with strong leadership skills for its next Director of Economic Development. The individual will also serve as the Executive Director of the Greater Beloit Economic Development Corporation (GBEDC).
The City is home to renowned Beloit College and is the gateway to the State of Wisconsin from Illinois, greeting over one million tourists annually. Beloit covers 17 square miles with a downtown that is the historical, cultural and social center of the community located along the Rock River and Turtle Creek. Downtown Beloit has been recognized as a leading, award-winning example of downtown revitalization and sustainability practices that includes a dense cluster of small shops and boutiques along the riverfront park system. The City of Beloit prides itself on providing state-of-the-art municipal services with a strong emphasis on customer service.
The GBEDC is a private, non-profit, investor-based organization serving greater Beloit. Investors include business, industry, real estate, developers, contractors, educators, financial institutions and local government jurisdictions. The GBEDC organizes economic activities in the Greater Beloit area. Its focus is business retention and recruitment, industrial and commercial development, incentive packaging, marketing, strategic planning, benchmarking, and workforce development.
Candidates should have:
• A B.A. in public administration, community development, marketing, or a related field. A master’s degree is preferred. CEdC designation is ideal.
• Five – seven years of responsible senior management experience in a directly related field encompassing significant responsibility for the development and administration of economic development department programs, services and resources.
• Proven background in economic development and demonstrated skills in relationship building.
Candidates should also bring to the position:
• Innovation: Bring fresh ideas, and offer unique perspectives and experiences.
• Energy: Provide enthusiasm and focused energy to all projects, and a passion for service to the community.
• Expertise and Intellectual Curiosity: Have extensive knowledge of economic development strategies, innovation, policy, and a passion for continuous learning and improvement.
• Versatility: Play an important role in coordinating, facilitating, and managing projects that require involvement across multiple public and private sector stakeholders.
• Leadership: Be dedicated to effective leadership and building collaborative and positive relationships by actively working to sustain high-trust relationships.
• Engaging Perspective: Have a balance of commitment to both the City as an organization, including the senior management team of the city, and the GBEDC Board of Directors and its committees with a genuine confidence and approachability.
The starting salary range is $110,000-$130,000 +/- DOQ. An excellent City of Beloit benefit package is offered.
Candidates should apply by October 28, 2020 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Link to job posting: https://www.govhrusa.com/career-center/