The Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) of the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) seeks an experienced manager in transportation planning to manage our newly formed Multimodal Planning and Design team. This is a rare opportunity to help shape a growing team engaged in regionally significant projects and programs that will advance transportation planning in the Boston region. This position will report to the Director of Projects and Partnerships.
Responsibilities will include the following:
● Managing and mentoring a team of transportation planners and program managers who carry out the planning and design of roadways that accommodate all users within a Complete Streets framework, including an emphasis on the most vulnerable roadway users walking, biking, using assistive mobility devices, and taking public transit
● Advancing the multimodal planning and design practice area to meet the needs of the region, including the movement of both people and goods
● Building a team environment, facilitating team meetings, and performing staff performance evaluations
● Developing annual resource plans, setting quarterly outcomes and benchmarks, monitoring progress, and ensuring annual targets are met
● Working with the team to develop creative ideas and solutions to planning questions
● Reviewing deliverables including technical documents, work plans, schedules, and project budgets
● Collaborating with managers and the leadership team to provide input into agency operations and support implementation of the agency’s strategic plan
While the following sections describe required and desirable qualifications, candidates who believe that their particular experience and skills fulfill the requirements are encouraged to apply.
● A master’s degree in transportation, engineering, business, or a related field, plus at least two years management experience; or a bachelor’s degree in the fields listed above, plus five years of management experience
● Experience in transportation planning
● Proven ability to manage projects and people
● Client and stakeholder engagement skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, prioritize work, and delegate tasks
● Ability to work collaboratively and manage concurrent streams of work
● Strong organizational and analytical skills (both qualitative and quantitative)
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate to a variety of audiences, including the MPO board, elected officials, technical staff, and the public
● Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
● Familiarity with one or more traffic analysis programs (e.g., Synchro, VISSIM, or HCS)
● Understanding of engineering principles and the systems engineering process
● Experience working with Asana or other related project management software
● Proficient with Deltek Vision or other resource planning software
● Familiarity with the Boston metropolitan region
Compensation and Benefits
This a full time position and the starting salary range is $90,000–$110,000 annually, contingent upon qualifications and experience. The agency offers excellent Massachusetts state employee benefits; a flexible, supportive work environment; and a commitment to ongoing professional development.
The Central Transportation Planning Staff of the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization is a public agency made up of a passionate group of transportation planners, analysts, modelers, programmers, and engineers working to address the Boston region’s transportation challenges. The agency’s deep transportation knowledge is an essential asset to the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), regional transit authorities, cities and towns within the region, as well as other agencies and stakeholders.
The agency has a hybrid schedule, combining time in the office with remote work. Employees must reside within a commutable distance from the Central Transportation Planning Staff’s office, which is located in downtown Boston, in a transit-oriented and bicycle-friendly area.
Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region. All employees will be required to provide proof of vaccination status.
The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) is the fiduciary agent to the Central Transportation Planning Staff and legally employs the staff. Both organizations are Equal Employment Opportunity employers that take pride in the diversity of their workforces and encourage all qualified persons to apply. MAPC participates in the E-Verify system to confirm employment eligibility.
How to Apply
This position is open until March 24, 2023, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. A review of applications will begin immediately. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via governmentjobs.com/careers/ctps or bostonmpo.org. Candidates selected to interview will be asked to submit three references plus a sample of relevant writing or a work product.
Link to Job Posting and to Apply: Click Here