Starting Annual Salary: $54,023 – $63,000*
*Depending On Qualifications, with annual performance-based merit increase program
First Review of Applications: Friday, August 26, 2022 (open until filled)
Role and Responsibilities:
SEMCOG (EOE) is seeking a highly motivated Planner to join the Transportation Planning and Programming team. The Planner II will be the direct connection between counties and local governments to assist with planning and programming of all local projects within the region. Serves as a key liaison between SEMCOG, MDOT, and all regional agencies to develop and implement SEMCOG’s Transportation Improvement Program (TIP). The SEMCOG TIP is a vital step in the transportation planning process and includes $4.2 Billion in transportation investments. Will grow expertise in the areas of public transit, congestion management, multimodal travel, asset management and freight travel. This position will provide support in the facilitation and development of the Transportation Coordinating Council, which is a group of state and local transportation professional and officials.
The successful candidate will have an understanding of transportation and mobility planning; excellent quantitative skills needed for technical analysis and experience working with Excel; good organization and time management skills to ensure timely completion and delivery of work; be detailed, self-motivated, and capable of working on multiple tasks; excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interact and work with a range of external stakeholders such as federal, state, county, and local road and transit agencies; and ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with internal staff and external partners, including MDOT and local transportation providers and departments. Candidates should demonstrate a strong work ethic and comfort in working both independently and within teams and attending in-person and virtual meetings. This position is part of a job series and offers employee development and promotional opportunities.
Experience and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning, Engineering, Business, or a related field is required.
• Three (3) to five (5) years’ experience of increasing responsibility in related area(s).
• Previous experience working with transportation planning documents, metropolitan transportation plans. GIS experience and knowledge of ESRI products desirable.
• Experience in assisting or managing some or part of the development, monitoring, and implementation of projects across multiple stakeholder groups.
• Working experience with FHWA, FTA, MDOT and Local Government agencies, partners, private sector, and/or regional leaders.
• Effective written, verbal, and presentation skills required, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Support and promote a strong internal culture based on SEMCOG core values.
SEMCOG is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices and laws. SEMCOG prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees, applicants, or any other covered persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, height, weight, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. This statement applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, benefits, and training.
Link to Job Posting and Application: Click Here