JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for providing professional and technical assistance to member local governments in comprehensive planning, local development regulations, transportation (primarily bicycle and pedestrian and metropolitan transportation planning), and other specialized land use and resources planning activities. An incumbent in this position may be designated as “Planner III.”
- Provides professional and technical assistance to member local governments in the area of regional planning to assist in determining the best use of land and resources for homes, businesses, transportation, solid waste and recreation; researches, develops, updates and writes comprehensive plans and transportation reports and studies.
- Develops, analyzes, interprets and explains socio-economic, demographic and service related data in support of land plan development and transportation infrastructure investment.
- Assists client governments in developing short- and long-range land use, transportation and resources plans, including urban area development plans and full and partial Comprehensive Plan updates.
- Assists with the implementation of Comprehensive Plans and transportation plans.
- Assists in updating locally adopted ordinances and regulations, including transportation reports and plans; performs current planning and zoning tasks such as subdivision reviews, zoning amendments and conditional use reviews. To assist in these efforts, work involves meeting with various committees and councils.
- Notifies local governments about state mandated planning; provides assistance to local governments on state compliance issues.
- Provides information to answer public, governmental, media or private sector inquiries about comprehensive planning.
- Researches, develops and presents reports to local governments.
- Assists other planners with comprehensive planning and transportation projects as requested.
- Makes public presentations to various boards and commissions; provides staff support to various planning commissions.
Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
Knowledge of planning and zoning principles, theories, strategies and techniques. Knowledge of relevant federal, state and local laws and regulations.
Knowledge of commission plans and policies.
Knowledge of transportation planning principles and practices (especially bicycle and pedestrian and metropolitan transportation planning).
Knowledge of GIS and historic preservation applications and principles.
Skill in conducting related research.
Skill in analyzing and drawing sound conclusions from data sources.
Skill in preparing and presenting planning reports.
Skill in operating a personal computer and various software programs.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Link to Job Posting: https://www.sgrc.us/documents/opportunities/Planner_II.pdf
Link to Apply: https://www.sgrc.us/careers.html