THURSTON REGIONAL PLANNING COUNCIL
Thurston Regional Planning Council (TRPC) is seeking a Planning Manager with strong leadership and planning experience who is familiar with Metropolitan Planning Organizations. This is an opportunity to work with a variety of local, regional, state, and federal partners in a positive, well-supported environment.
For more information visit www.trpc.org or phone (360) 956-7575. This position will remain open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to submit their application by May 26, 2023.
TRPC supports transportation demand management (TDM) measures such as telework, compressed work weeks, and flexible schedules. A successful candidate can expect to work in the office and at other locations when needed.
TRPC is a Regional Transportation Planning Organization (RTPO), council of governments, Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), and Transportation Management Area (TMA), governed by a 23-member intergovernmental board. The agency is non-regulatory with a mission to “provide visionary, collaborative leadership on regional plans, policies, and issues for the benefit of all Thurston region residents.”
We are located in Olympia, Washington, approximately 60 miles south of Seattle and 120 miles north of Portland, Oregon. Residents of the region enjoy a high quality of life and reasonable cost of living amid beautiful natural surroundings. With a current county-wide population of around 300,500, we are one of the fastest growing regions in Washington, making our area an exciting place for regional planning.
The Planning Manager will serve as the supervisor to approximately 10 planners. This position requires considerable independent judgement, strategic planning, and project management capabilities.
A successful candidate could expect to:
• Provide leadership, support, and direction to supervised staff.
• Identify and address short- and long-term planning objectives and goals.
• Develop scopes of work and work programs and monitor staffing levels and budgets.
• Serve as a project lead when required.
• Keep apprised of state and federal legislation and operate within legal and regulatory constraints.
• Work with multiple partners and stakeholders, including working directly with boards or councils.
• Serve on the agency’s management team.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated program/project management experience.
• Familiarity with Metropolitan Planning Organizations, Regional Transportation Planning Organizations and Transportation Management Areas and regional, state, and federal regulatory framework.
• Understanding of the connections between transportation, land use, the environment and equity.
• Commitment to incorporating equity, diversity, and inclusion into their work.
• Experience working with state and federal transportation regulators.
• Strong analytical skills.
• The ability to work independently and as a member of multi-disciplinary teams.
• Experience in public engagement.
• Strong communication and collaboration skills.
• The ability to be flexible and adaptable to change.
• A strong desire to serve the public interest.
• A Master’s degree.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in urban or regional planning or related field such as geography, transportation, economics, political science, or environmental studies.
• Five years of experience demonstrating comprehensive knowledge of public administration, planning principles, practices, and techniques.
• Four years of experience in project and/or supervision included in the five years of experience.
• Master’s degree in public administration, planning or related field.
• Any demonstrated combination of experience and education, which provides the applicant with the required knowledge and abilities.
TRPC provides generous annual leave and full employer paid medical and dental coverage for single subscribers and 80 percent for family and spousal coverage. The agency is a member of the Washington State Public Employees Retirement System. Hiring range for the position is $7,694.72 – $9,609.65 per month depending on qualifications. For candidates who meet longevity criteria, the top range is $10,348.54.
Find full application information and materials on the agency’s website at www.trpc.org, or phone Thurston Regional Planning Council at (360) 956-7575. Email application materials to HR@trpc.org, or mail to 2411 Chandler Court SW, Olympia, WA 98502. Thurston Regional Planning Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity throughout the organization. All potential employees will be recruited without regard to sex/gender, race, national origin, religion, marital status, military or veteran status, age, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by law.
If special accommodations to apply for this position are needed, please telephone and ask for our ADA Coordinator. For TDD users, please use the State’s toll-free relay service by calling (800) 833-6388 and ask the operator to dial (360) 956-7575.
To be considered, applicants must submit all the following:
1. Letter of interest that addresses how your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities make you an ideal candidate for the position.
3. Completed TRPC application.
During the recruitment process, applicants may make inquiries by email to HR@trpc.org. The most qualified applicants will be invited to take part in an interview process.
Reference checks are part of TRPC’s recruitment process, subject to state law.
Link to Job Announcement/Description and to Apply: Click Here