The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) is seeking a regional economic development professional who can collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders. The ideal candidate for this position will form alliances with economic development professionals from across CMAP’s seven-county region to coordinate and develop partnerships that enhance economic vitality and drive inclusive growth. The ideal candidate also will coordinate and connect with the region’s workforce development ecosystem. Workforce development in northeastern Illinois is focused on connecting people with training and jobs that can provide businesses in strategically vital industries with access to the high-quality talent today and create a pipeline for tomorrow.
This is an opportunity to join a great team of fun, driven professionals and make an important impact on the communities, residents, companies, workers, and students in CMAP’s region.
ABOUT CHICAGO METROPOLITAN AGENCY FOR PLANNING
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) is northeastern Illinois’ official comprehensive planning organization and federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). The agency and its partners developed ON TO 2050, a long-range plan to help the seven counties and 284 communities of our region address transportation, equity, environmental and other quality-of-life issues. The CMAP Board has 15 voting members and two non-voting members with representation from across our seven-county region. About 110 staff members work to implement the ON TO 2050 plan, guided by the agency’s core values to foster collaboration, pursue equity, drive innovation, lead with excellence, and serve with passion. Visit our website for more information.
REGIONAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR
We are seeking a qualified candidate to join our team as the Regional Economic Development Coordinator and advance the regional economic goals of ON TO 2050. The ideal candidate for this role will serve as an external-facing representative who can lead the development of key relationships with the region’s economic development organizations, communities, and targeted business sectors. The Regional Economic Development Coordinator will join a team with strong research and analytical skills that supports a regional working group that identifies key economic drivers and develops initiatives to bolster the regional economy. The ideal candidate for this position will work alongside key local, regional, and state agencies, as well as businesses and other stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will:
- Engage with professionals from economic development, business, real estate, and workforce sectors to understand the business challenges experienced by industries, communities, and the region, as well as discern potential strategies to bolster inclusive economic growth.
- Collaborate with partners to develop and implement ON TO 2050 strategies that strengthen our regional economy and competitiveness through partnerships with Intersect Illinois, the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, World Business Chicago, countywide economic development organizations, real estate professionals, and other key stakeholders.
- Work closely with workforce development boards, local colleges, and other members of the region’s workforce development ecosystem to achieve common goals of forming stronger connections between business workforce needs and educational training opportunities, as well as develop key performance indicators (KPI) to assist the region in measuring outcomes.
- Be able to aggregate relevant business and market data, communicate data findings to working groups for economic development and workforce, and other workforce development ecosystem partners.
- Possess the knowledge and experience in regional economic development, business attraction and retention, outreach and engagement, marketing, branding, and other related activities.
- Proactively use internal and external data to drive strategy and improve outcomes.
- Focus on strengthening the multimodal transportation network, making connections, and aligning the transportation investments with infrastructure and service needs of freight, transportation, distribution and logistics, metals, food and beverage, pharma, and other top sectors.
- Be a conduit who can connect safe and efficient surface transportation systems that serve the mobility needs of people and the freight industry to foster economic growth and resilience.
- Provide business and practitioner input on research, analysis, policies, key performance indicators, and a balanced scorecard that will further economic resilience and inclusive growth.
- Communicate with CMAP’s Economic Development and Housing and Community Development Committees, and working groups that focus on resilient economy, workforce, and tourism to align potential action and coordinate implementation strategies.
- Maintain active business relationships with economic development organizations, municipal partners, and others that directly interact with the business engagement process.
- Engage in effective and professional business conversations at all levels
- Strong relationship building and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Attention to detail and strong follow-up skills with the ability to assemble a team to respond to opportunities.
- Ability to learn quickly, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency with business technology, including MS Office programs, with special emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with CRM tool is a plus.
- A collaborative team-oriented and client-focused approach.
- Initiative and independence.
- Bachelor’s degree required with course work in business or economic development preferred, or equivalent experience.
- 7 years applicable experience in economic development, real estate development, property management, municipal management.
CMAP is a collaborative environment with terrific support from internal and external partners. We are a team of bright and talented professionals who work hard together and maintain a healthy work-life balance. CMAP offers a generous package of salary and benefits, including healthcare insurance, paid time-off, and more.
How to Apply
Applicants should apply online at https://jobs.keldair.com/CMAP. The position will remain open until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter by November 17, 2020.
CMAP is our region’s official comprehensive planning organization. The agency and its partners are implementing ON TO 2050, our newly adopted comprehensive regional plan to help the seven counties and 284 communities of northeastern Illinois implement strategies that address transportation, housing, economic development, open space, the environment, and other quality-of-life issues. See www.cmap.illinois.gov for more information.
CMAP is always looking for talented, self-motivated individuals to join our team. If you think you are ready to be a part of an exciting team, then we encourage you to continue with this applicant friendly, online job application!
CMAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Certifications/Licenses and Association Dues
- Deferred Compensation (457 Plan)
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Parental Leave
- Personal Days/Floating Holidays
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Sick Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation Leave
- Vision Insurance