Full time Planner
FAMPO is a federally-mandated agency that is responsible for ensuring that federal dollars spent on existing and future transportation projects and programs are based on a continuing, cooperative, and comprehensive transportation planning process. Committed to meaningful public engagement throughout the process, FAMPO is responsible for establishing priorities to meet short-term (next six years) and long-term (20+ years) multimodal transportation needs in the FAMPO Region, which includes the City of Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County, and Stafford County.
ABOUT THE POSITION
FAMPO is seeking a thoughtful and energetic individual to perform intermediate to complex professional planning and related work.
Typical duties include:
• Collecting, analyzing, and interpreting transportation planning data
• Assist in research, analysis, and mapping spatial data.
• Providing support to various transportation and regional planning activities and initiatives
• Communicating with the public, GWRC staff, local regional and state organizations, and elected officials
• Assisting with and attending monthly committee meetings and workshops
• Assembling monthly committee meeting agendas and material packets
• Preparation of grant or other funding applications to VDOT, DRPT, or other entities in pursuit of advancing transportation projects and programs.
• Planner II – may take on project/program management and be assigned important roles of individual responsibility in Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP), Congestion Management Process (CMP), and/or SMART-SCALE project preparation
Minimum Required Qualifications
• Planner I – A Bachelor’s Degree in urban planning, geography, Geospatial Information Systems (GIS), or another related field and one-year full-time experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Planner II – A Master’s degree in urban planning, transportation planning, geography, Geospatial Information Systems (GIS), or another related field and 2 years experience, or A Bachelor’s Degree and minimum of four years full-time experience in transportation planning, urban planning, regional planning, or closely related field.
• Some GIS experience (ESRI products, QGIS, CartoDB).
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite.
• Strong writing and communication skills.
• The ability to work both independently and as a positive, inclusive member of a team.
• Must be adaptable to change and able to perform under moderate levels of stress.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• Master’s degree in regional planning, transportation planning or closely related field.
• Experience working with planning organizations.
• Knowledge of transportation project funding, policy, and project development phases.
• Interest in innovative transportation concepts.
Compensation: $54,863-$60,349 for Transportation Planner I; $59,252-$65,177 for Transportation Planner II; Excellent benefits, including health insurance (medical, dental, vision and prescription), retirement through the Virginia Retirement System (VRS), life Insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and more. Full-Time Position – 40 hours per week.
This position will require some attendance at evening meetings. A limited telework policy is in place.
Please email a cover letter, résumé, representative sample of your work for a transportation study or plan, and 2-3 references to email@example.com. Position is open until filled.
George Washington Regional Commission/Fredericksburg Area Metropolitan Planning Organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information.