The Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) of the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is reimagining the purpose and role of its transportation modeling tools in the planning process and developing the next generation of these tools to provide more efficient and meaningful insights to the MPO and partner agencies in the Boston region. The agency seeks an experienced Data Scientist/Model Developer to research, design, implement, adapt, and maintain these models of travel behavior and transportation systems in various platforms.
The Senior Data Scientist–Model Developer will participate in the leadership, mentoring, and direct work to deliver a new regionwide travel demand model in TransCAD with GIS-based input and output data and supporting utilities in Python and R. In addition to leading and mentoring team members, this individual will perform tasks that adapt and develop new model scripts; prepare data, analysis, and visualization; and produce user and developer documentation. This role is based within the Travel Model Development team but is expected to coordinate with stakeholders within CTPS, the MPO, and peer agencies. This position will report to the Director of Modeling and Analytics.
• Work at multiple levels, including as a task/project lead, on the development and maintenance of custom software applications to support transportation modeling.
• Perform research and participate in the development of modeling features related to emerging transportation technologies, transformative modes, and shared mobilities.
• Ensure transportation modeling tools and analytical capabilities are credible and effective for policy analysis.
• Define and uphold quality assurance and quality control processes.
• Work collaboratively and provide mentoring to advance the state of the practice for transportation tools at the agency.
• Develop functional specifications and requirements and oversee/execute the work to translate those into efficient, flexible scripts with error handling, testability, and user-centered features.
• Lead design and code reviews to ensure consistent, efficient, and transparent development.
• Define and develop supporting utilities in R, Python, TransCAD, and other platforms.
• Develop and give input to work plans and level-of-effort estimates.
While the following sections describe required and desirable qualifications, our organization is open to candidates who believe that their particular experience and skills fulfill the requirements.
• Advanced degree in transportation modeling, computer science, data analytics, data science, statistics, mathematics, engineering or related field, and more than three years of experience using the required skills or comparable skills
• Candidates for the Senior Data Scientist/Model Developer position will have substantial experience developing and applying travel demand models and demonstrate an expertise in the field of transportation modeling and a capability and interest to lead and mentor modelers.
• Excellent ability to think logically and algorithmically in one or more programming languages to develop clear, cogent software design and well-documented code
• Experience conducting statistical analysis of datasets, extracting useful information, and fitting mathematical models to describe the data to be programmed into a larger process
• Experience using modeling software, such as TransCAD, to support large, complex model development and applications projects
• Experience using data management, procedure development, and data visualization in either R or Python (preferably both), and an understanding of relational databases
• Strong understanding of econometric and demand models, use and purpose of market segmentation, and interpreting model estimators in the context of behavioral theory
• Ability to identify, describe, visualize, and communicate the technical limitations, innovations, and consequences of model implementations
• Effective work prioritization, time management, and collaboration skills
• Facility with version-control software and methods
• Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• A desire to help build an equitable, sustainable, and resilient transportation system for the Boston region
• A desire to mentor and develop a team of data scientists and transportation modelers
• An interest in advancing the state of the practice in transportation modeling for the Boston region and beyond.
This is a full-time position and the starting salary range is $80,000–$100,000 annually, contingent upon qualifications and experience.
We offer excellent Massachusetts state employee benefits; a flexible, supportive, and family-friendly work environment; and a commitment to ongoing professional development. Our office is located in downtown Boston, in a transit-oriented and bicycle-friendly environment. We are currently piloting a hybrid work schedule based on health indicators and guidance. All employees will be required to provide proof of vaccination status. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States.
The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) is our fiduciary agent and legally employs our staff. Both organizations are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) employers that take pride in the diversity of their workforces and encourage all qualified persons to apply. MAPC participates in the E-Verify system to confirm employment eligibility.
About the Central Transportation Planning Staff:
Our organization is a public agency and is made up of a passionate group of transportation planners, analysts, modelers, programmers, and engineers working to address the Boston region’s transportation challenges. The agency’s deep transportation knowledge is an essential asset to the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), regional transit authorities, cities and towns within the region, as well as other agencies and stakeholders.
How to Apply:
This position is open until December 2, 2022, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. A review of applications will begin immediately. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via www.bostonmpo.org.
Link to Job Posting: Click Here
Link to Apply for Job: Click Here