The Transportation Department of the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is seeking a Senior Transportation Planner in its Transportation Technology and Innovation Program (TTIP). The candidate filling this position must live within the Dallas-Fort Worth region, as this position will be hybrid in nature, consisting of a mixture of remote work, travel within and occasionally outside of Dallas-Fort Worth on work-related activities, and in-office in Arlington, Texas.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments is currently permitting employees to work a hybrid schedule that consists of the equivalent of a minimum of two days per week in the NCTCOG offices in Arlington, Texas, and three days remotely from home within the Dallas-Fort Worth Region.
TTIP began as an automated vehicles program about five years ago and has since broadened its scope to include work in a variety of related areas. One focus has been on utilizing connected vehicle data to improve roadway safety and operations. For example, TTIP has helped make Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) a national leader in the use of Waze incident data to improve emergency response to roadway incidents. TTIP also has launched a project to use connected vehicle technology to reduce the percentage of red light stops by freight vehicles at signalized intersections to improve roadway safety and operations and reduce emissions. TTIP is also pursuing several projects to improve broadband connectivity as a new transportation mode, virtual transportation, and as a form of travel demand management.
Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online (see Link below). All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
NCTCOG is a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
This position will conduct activities related to seven TTIP initiatives:
1. Planning for and implementing broadband access as a transportation mode, a way of connecting people to their life activities virtually, supplementing their physical travel to such activities
2. Utilizing connected vehicle and other transportation data sources to build tools and facilitate data sharing collaborations that improve transportation system operations and safety
3. Planning for and advancing the development of micro mobility and other emerging vehicle types that utilize automated and connected vehicle technology
4. Rolling out automated vehicle projects that are funded and will be delivered by NCTCOG
5. Collaborating with other program areas on projects of common interest (e.g., vehicle automation on electric vehicle platforms)
6. Engaging with regional partners and the public to share the findings of a recently completed study on preparing the region for automated vehicles and related technologies
7. Identifying strategies that align transportation technology developments with transportation planning strategies that improve the safety, efficiency, affordability, and equity of our transportation system
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, the North Central Texas Council of Governments has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility, and innovation.
Link to Job Description and to Apply: Click Here