The Adams County Office of Planning and Development (ACOPD) is seeking a Comprehensive Planner with a focus on Community Design/Cultural Resources to join the Planning Department to perform professional planning duties in current and long range planning.
Experience level: Entry Salary: $40,794 – $43,000/year (this is an hourly position)
The County of Adams
The County of Adams is a rural, agricultural/residential community of approximately 106,000 residents located in Pennsylvania, within commute distance of the State’s Capital and both Baltimore, MD and Washington D.C.. Residents of the county are highly educated and active in local government and are committed to maintaining the County’s rural character.
The office is located in Cumberland Township just outside of the Borough of Gettysburg, the County seat.
The Adams County Office of Planning and Development (ACOPD)
ACOPD provides planning support for 34 municipalities in Adams County and serves as the primary staff to the Adams County Board of Commissioners, the Adams County Planning Commission (ACPC) and the Adams County Transportation Planning Organization (ACTPO).
The Department currently has 26 full-time employees in four Divisions: Comprehensive Planning, Rural Resources, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS), as well as the Adams County Conservation District (ACCD).
ACOPD is seeking a Comprehensive Planner to join the staff to perform professional planning duties in current and long range planning. Specific interests/skills related to design, historic preservation and public outreach/involvement as well as graphic design software experience is a plus.
The duties of the Comprehensive Planner include:
- Provide community planning support and assistance to municipalities, municipal officials, and planning related organizations.
- Assist with public outreach/involvement, including surveys, public appearances and announcements, public meetings and presentations, and educating the public concerning planning issues.
- Preparing, developing, and presenting reports, recommendations, and presentations including graphic design for comprehensive plans, functional plans, and implementing regulations;
- Preparing analyses of complex planning projects to ensure compatibility with the County’s rural character.
- Perform related planning duties as needed, including intake and review of subdivision and land development plans, ordinance amendment reviews, grant administration, GIS mapping and graphic production as assigned.
The Comprehensive Planner may also oversee outside contractors (e.g., historians, special project consultants, etc.), and/or act as staff liaison to municipalities.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for the Comprehensive Planner position is an individual who has zero to two (0-2) years of experience working as a planner and has an interest in both current and long range planning with a community design/cultural resources background and functional design skills.
The candidate shall possess:
- Effective presentation skills;
- Effective communication skills with all project members, including contractors, architects, special consultants, applicants, and co-workers;
- Basic to advanced computer skills; and
- A proven ability to negotiate conflict.
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning, geography or a closely related field is required. A Master’s degree in planning, geography or a closely related field preferred.
For online application information please visit www.adamscounty.us and click on the EMPLOYMENT link
For more information about the Adams County Office of Planning and Development (ACOPD), please contact Sherri Clayton-Williams, AICP, Director (email@example.com) or Andrew Merkel, AICP, (firstname.lastname@example.org) Assistant Director/Comprehensive Planning Manager at (717) 337-9824.
Visit the ACOPD website at http://www.adamscounty.us/Dept/Planning/Pages/default.aspx.