Program Engineer/Planner – Capital Programming & Project Development
The South Jersey Transportation Planning Organization (SJTPO), the regional transportation
planning agency for southern New Jersey, is seeking an experienced professional to manage all
capital programming, congestion management, intelligent transportation systems planning, and
travel demand modeling to support project implementation in the SJTPO region. Specific tasks
include, but are not limited to, representative of the SJTPO at local, state, and federal events,
program management, project identification, and development related to SJTPO’s capital program,
Congestion Management Process (CMP), and related areas. The Program Engineer/Planner shall
report directly to the Executive Director and will supervise the Assistant Engineer. Field work and
travel required. See https://www.sjtpo.org/careers/ for complete job description and detailed
Applicant must have a bachelor’s degree in Planning, Engineering, or a relevant alternative.
Master’s degree is strongly desired. Must have at least five years of experience in public or private
sector transportation planning, with supervisory responsibility highly encouraged. Candidate must
have excellent written, verbal, and technical communication skills. Candidates should be well
versed in GIS (ArcMap) and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint,
and Access) with demonstrated expertise in microsimulation and travel demand modeling strongly
The salary range is $67,000 to $75,000 (Range 7) depending on qualifications and experience. The
SJTPO offers a full benefits package including medical and dental insurance, optional deferred
compensation plans, paid time off, and membership in the New Jersey State Pension System.
SJTPO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Representation: The position will represent SJTPO at local, state, and federal events, particularly those whose focus is related to capital programming, congestion management and relief planning, Intelligent Transportation Systems Planning, and other related activities and tasks.
Program Management: The position will serve as primary technical lead for SJTPO’s capital
projects and program as well as SJTPO’s Congestion Management Process (CMP), and SJTPO’s
Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement (CMAQ) Program.
Project Development: The position shall lead SJTPO’s local project development, working closely
with its subregional partners throughout the project planning process to advance projects with a
high deliverability. The position will be responsible for project screening, scoping, data analysis,
field visits, coordination with local stakeholders, and other pre-design activities.
Technical Program Management: The position shall be responsible for managing and
overseeing other staff managing, consultant-led technical studies. In consultation with staff, the
position will be responsible for developing technical studies important to SJTPO’s subregional
partners, releasing the request for proposals, consultant selection, among other related tasks.
Travel Demand Modeling: There is a strong desire for the position to serve as the as principle
modeler, responsible for maintaining and enhancing the South Jersey Travel Demand Model
(SJTDM); managing data related to the model, develop model scenarios for capital projects and
long-range planning efforts.
• Candidates must demonstrate excellent written, verbal, and technical communication skills, including
the ability to synthesize complex or diverse information.
• Ability to independently or collaboratively prepare clear, accurate, and informative reports containing
findings, conclusions, and suitable recommendations.
• Ability to provide sound advice, assistance, and instructions.
• Ability to prepare, negotiate, and manage contracts and projects and monitor the work of contractors
• Must be well versed in using Geographic Information System (GIS) software, such as ArcMap and
Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Access is strongly desired, including experience in database management
and conducting queries.
• Experience with engineering, planning, or geographic software is strongly preferred, but not required
- Traffic microsimulation software, such as Trafficware Synchro and SimTraffic
- Travel demand modeling software, such as Citilabs Cube
• Must have a bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree is strongly desired. Degrees may be in planning,
engineering, or another subject relevant to the job as described.
• Must have at least five years of experience in public or private sector transportation planning, with
supervisory responsibility highly desired.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail materials to South Jersey
Transportation Planning Organization, 782 South Brewster Road, Unit B6, Vineland, New Jersey 08361,
Attn.: Jennifer Marandino.
• A well-written cover letter
• A well-written resume (no more than two pages)
• A list of tools and software packages, etc. with which you are familiar and indicate your degree of
• Three references that can speak to the qualifications referenced above
Posting End Date:
This posting will close on Wednesday, November 13, 2019. All materials must be received within that
timeframe. No application materials received after that date will be considered.
Submit a well-written cover letter, resume, list of familiar tools and software packages, andthree references, by Wednesday, November 13, 2019 to email@example.com.