The Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) is a group of local governments working together on issues that touch the lives of every resident. We are a regional planning agency that develops solutions in areas such as transportation, air quality, economic development, and programs that meet the human needs of the region.
MAG is seeking a bilingual (English/Spanish) Communication and Digital Outreach Specialist (Planner II) to conduct outreach and engage the public in MAG plans and programs through social media, traditional media, community engagement and other communication tactics, and to assist in engaging target communities in the transportation decision-making process and securing high levels of participation.
The successful candidate must have experience conducting successful digital public relations/communication/social media campaigns and strategies. Transportation public involvement experience or knowledge of transportation programs and terminology strongly preferred.
The specialist will play a significant role in planning and executing an online content strategy for the agency. Duties includes developing and coordinating social media and other marketing content, applying social media and other digital best practices, and completing related work to drive agency awareness and audience engagement. The ideal candidate for this position is a communication expert and curious learner who thrives at a mission-driven organization. They perform work under the supervision of the Communication Director.
The specialist also will work with representatives of Title VI communities, including, but not limited to, Hispanic, African American, Native American, Asian American, older adults, people with disabilities, and low-income communities, to keep them informed of MAG activities and elicit input into MAG plans and programs. International Association for Public Participation (IAP2) training a plus.
Must be fluent in English and Spanish, written and verbal, in a business setting.
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge and skills in three key areas:
Must speak fluent Spanish in a business setting and be able to translate materials accurately for wide-ranging public consumption.
additional platforms) that will grow audiences and engagement and that align with broader communication
strategy and goals.
– Manage and carry out the content strategy for all social media properties, including planning, writing, and
scheduling posts as well as coming up with visual ideas.
– Monitor social media analytics and present data-driven insights and key learnings.
– Provide guidance for the communication team and agency staff on social media best practices, helping subject
matter experts elevate the agency’s brand.
– Work with graphic designers as needed to produce graphics, illustrations, and layouts for social media and email
marketing campaigns. Ability to create graphics and create/edit short videos a plus.
– Provide guidance for the communications team and agency staff on social media best practices, helping subject
matter experts elevate the agency’s brandPublic involvement
– Ability to establish a presence in the target communities, using knowledge of the interrelated cultural, social,
occupational, historical and economic factors of Title VI and Environmental Justice communities.
– Ability to engage Title VI and Environmental Justice communities in the transportation decision-making process
and secure high levels of participation. This could include responsibilities such as conducting surveys,
coordinating public hearings, hosting information booths at community events, event planning, or utilizing online
public engagement platforms for input.
– Prepare annual updates of Title VI and Environmental Justice Program document.
– Implement strategies outlined in MAG’s Public Participation Plan.
– Ability to learn key message points regarding transportation projects and communicate with media and the public.
– Communication experience with transportation programs and terminology strongly preferred.
– Duties will include assisting with strategic communication planning, creating written content such as news stories
and press releases, and representing the agency through media interviews in English and Spanish.
Experience and Education
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a valid driver’s license ID.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience required
- Computer skills necessary.
- Minimum 3 years communication experience.
- Have relevant work experience.
- IAP2 training a plus.
To view all position vacancies, please visit our Jobs Page at: http://azmag.gov/Jobs-RFPs-RFQs/Jobs-at-MAG.
You can now apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the “Apply” button at the top right-hand corner of each position. Please read and follow the instructions on the application page. Your application will be considered “in process” until you complete it and hit the “Submit” button.
All applications must be submitted through our online application system. It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. Do not type “see resume” in these fields. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted.
The Maricopa Association of Governments is an Equal Opportunity Employer. During the selection process, any applicant requiring accommodation for a disability should advise the Human Resources Division by calling (602) 452-5032.
About the MAG Region
The Greater Phoenix region is a dynamic, vibrant, growing area that offers businesses and residents prosperity and an enriching quality of life. Great weather, safe neighborhoods and the beauty of the Sonoran desert make the region a great place to live and work. Our schools are among the best in the nation, with three Arizona schools on the top ten list for the entire country. These quality schools contribute to the region’s skilled workforce. Greater Phoenix and Arizona are noted as having one of the most business friendly and entrepreneurial environments.
A state-of-the-art freeway system, along with a robust light rail and transit system, means easy commutes. Recently, the WAZE traffic navigation app recognized Phoenix as the best driving experience in the world. This quality transportation system connects residents with employment and opportunities to compete in the global economy. Conveniently located within driving distance of skiing in northern Arizona, the beaches of California, and the culture of Mexico, the MAG region is a perfect place to call home.
For more information about our region and all it offers, please visit https://maps.azmag.gov/
Post-date: November 16, 2021
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Salary: $56,273 – $84,410 (depending on experience and qualifications). Excellent Benefits.
Location: Maricopa Association of Governments, downtown Phoenix, Arizona.