The Greater Nashville Regional Council (GNRC) is seeking an experienced planner to lead the environmental planning and healthy community initiatives within its Community and Regional Planning Department. The Department is responsible for the production of a comprehensive economic development plan (jointly with GNRC’s Economic and Community Development team), a regional transportation plan, a regional solid waste master plan, a regional public infrastructure needs inventory, and a growing list of other regional-scale products. At the local level, GNRC provides subscription-based staffing support to county and municipal planning commissions and conducts studies or develops local plans and zoning ordinances on a fee for service basis.
The duties of the Community and Regional Planner include:
- Coordinate planning activities related to environmental quality, open space conservation, protection of natural resources, clean energy, and resiliency to a changing climate and extreme weather events;
- Coordinate healthy communities initiatives and manage efforts to integrate public health considerations into local and regional plans for transportation and housing, land use and urban design, and other relevant aspects of the natural and built environments;
- Coordinate social equity initiatives to ensure that local and regional plans are aligned with Middle Tennessee’s goals for shared prosperity and equitable access to jobs, education, and other quality of life resources;
- Build or strengthen partnerships with external partners in the public and private-sectors engaged in policy, advocacy, or planning initiatives related to environmental quality, public health and well-being, and social equity and inclusion;
- Assist with the development of local and regional plans by 1) documenting and analyzing existing conditions and trends, 2) identifying and assessing best practices and tools, and 3) recommending policies, actions, or investment strategies tailored to address the specific planning objectives;
- Assist with the development of maps and other data visualization products using ArcGIS and other planning tools;
- Remain current on state and federal regulations that govern or guide the various planning processes; and
- Other special projects as assigned by the Director of Community and Regional Planning.
Qualifications: The preferred candidate will have a strong background in environmental planning and demonstrated skills in data analysis and GIS. A master’s degree in community and regional planning, environmental or earth sciences, public policy, public health, or related field is required, along with at least two years of experience. A bachelor’s degree and four years of professional experience in planning may be substituted for the master’s degree. Foreign degrees and credentials will be considered.
Remote Work and Travel Expectations: This position could begin in a work-from-home setting as dictated by GNRC COVID-19 protocols, but will require travel throughout GNRC’s planning region as social distancing guidelines are relaxed. A valid driver’s license and access to personal transportation is required.
Interested? Please go the www.gnrc.org/jobs to apply. In order to receive full consideration, please apply by Friday, April 9, 2021.
GNRC was established by the TN General Assembly as an association of local governments empowered to convene local and state leaders for the purposes of planning and programming state and federal investments into a range of social services and public infrastructure. GNRC serves as the region’s federally-recognized Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), Area Agency on Aging and Disability (AAAD), and Economic Development District (EDD). More information is available at GNRC.org.
Position open until filled.
GNRC is an EOE, AA Employer
Link to job posting: https://www.gnrc.org/249/Find-a-Job-with-Us