Austin Transportation Department
City of Austin, Texas
The Austin Transportation Department’s System Development Division (SDD) is seeking an expert in the Transportation Planning field with demonstrated leadership experience to lead the Transportation Planning and Policy Program. The Program Manager position is responsible for overseeing a team of Transportation Planners focused on Local Area Planning, Community Engagement, as well as Regional and Environmental Planning. The Transportation Planning and Policy Program is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the City’s first comprehensive mobility plan, the Austin Strategic Mobility Plan (ASMP), and implementation of various elements and action items of the Plan. This position will work closely with the Project Development Program within SDD to advance projects in the ASMP through Small Area and Corridor Planning efforts, overseeing their planning and community engagement elements. This position will also oversee the City’s responsibilities related to the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO) and other agencies’ transportation planning initiatives in the region.
The ideal candidate will bring the following preferred qualifications:
- Experience in Transportation Planning, Community Engagement, and Local, State, and Federal Policies.
- Experience managing large and complex projects, including short- and long-range plans, preparing and analyzing complex data and comprehensive reports.
- Experience working cooperatively with other departments, agency officials, non-government organizations, outside agencies, and members of the community. Including communicating with Boards & Commissions and City Council.
- Experience developing and monitoring program operating budgets, costs, and schedules.
- Experience in leading and managing a diverse team of transportation planners, engineers, and/or technical staff.
- Experience communicating and interacting with a variety of individuals such as internal and external stakeholders, including presenting at meetings and public events.
- A Professional Engineers License in a related field.
This position requires graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a field related to the job plus five (5) years of experience in a field related to the job, two (2) years of which were in a supervisory, project or program management capacity.
To be considered for this position, candidates must apply online at:
Please review additional postings with Austin Transportation.
The City of Austin has excellent benefits and provides an exceptional retirement system as well as a 457 plan for its employees.
About Austin, Texas
Austin has long been known as a technologically advanced city, a place where new ideas go to be tested and adopted. Austin has enjoyed a robust and diverse economy for the past 10 years, with economic indicators regularly exceeding national averages. Austin metropolitan area is one of the fastest growing in the country, with a 2.9 percent increase in population in 2016. Austin, Texas has a population of 926,000, making it the 11th largest city in the country. One of the country’s most popular, high-profile “green” and culturally dynamic cities, Austin was selected as the #1 Best Places to Live (US News and World Report 4/2017), # 5 Top 25 Future-Ready US Cities (Convention Management Association Convene Magazine, 2/2016), “Best City for the Next Decade” (Kiplinger), the “Best Places to Live in the US” (US News), the “Top Creative Center” in the US (Entrepreneur.com) and #1 on the “On Numbers Economic Index” as the fastest growing economy.
EOE – City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act