In 2017 AMPO launched the first ever Planning Tools and Training Symposium. The purpose of the symposium is to assist in meeting the diverse set of needs of our membership. While there are several conferences and training opportunities available to the transportation planning community, the needs and requirements of MPOs are unique.
The AMPO Planning Tools and Training Symposium is tailored to the requirements of MPOs as well as the challenges associated with meeting such requirements and structured to meet the needs of small, medium, and large MPOs. The symposium brings together MPO staff and practitioners to share information on a variety of MPO technical issues and provides peer-to-peer training for the MPO community to discuss challenges, opportunities, and implementation strategies with regard to current planning tools and applications. The goal of the symposium is to identify (or share) MPO best practices; provide practical training; and develop materials that can be shared across the MPO community.
The symposium takes place over the course of two and a half days and consists of multiple roundtable workshops. The workshops are divided into two tracks: MPO 101 and Trending Topics. The MPO 101 track is developed with junior staff in mind and seeks to provide practical training by topic area (i.e. MPO process and products, public involvement/environmental justice/Title XI, performance management, etc.). The Trending Topics track is developed with senior-level staff in mind and provides peer-to-peer exchange and training opportunities to discuss the state of the practice, innovation, and identify efficiencies.
The 2024 Planning Tools & Training Symposium is scheduled to take place in Albuquerque, New Mexico, May 6-9, 2024. Please be sure to save the date and check back to our website as we add more detailed information in the months ahead.
The agenda sessions/breakouts and support details will be available for download as we get closer to the event.
All presentations will be archived on the site following the event session. Please click the link below to view archived event presentations.
Event Speaker Bios
AMPO enlists numerous industry experts and specialists to discuss the latest industry trends and insights. As we get closer to AMPO’s 2024 Planning Tools & Training Symposium, we will provide a list of bios and speakers who are presenting. Please stay tuned.
Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
800 Rio Grande Boulevard NW
Albuquerque, NM 87104
Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town is a luxury hotel conveniently located in the heart of Old Town and the Sawmill District, offering accommodations and amenities, including an on-site restaurant and bars, an outdoor resort swimming pool, garden patio and more than 62,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting and event space.
Hotel Albuquerque is only steps away from Sawmill Market: a 25,000 square-foot food hall with various local vendors featuring an array of culinary experiences. Originally the site of the American Lumber Company north of historic Old Town, the Sawmill District has been re-imagined and redeveloped into a vibrant neighborhood of loft-style housing, artist studios, retail space, and the Sawmill Market.
Call for Proposals
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Call for Proposals is closed!
CONFERENCE DATES: May 6-9, 2024
QUESTIONS: Contact Caitlin Cook at email@example.com
The AMPO Planning Tools and Training Symposium engages MPOs and their government partners on a variety of MPO issues. This year’s symposium will take place in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Below is a list of general topic areas, however proposals are not restricted to these. Because of the nature of MPO work, it would be impossible to create an all-inclusive list so if you have an idea and it does not seem to fit within the below suggestions, still submit it.
- Core Products
- Planning & Projects
- Policy & Decision Making
- Data Generation and Management
- Traffic Operations
- Tools & Software
- Oddball – if it doesn’t fit above still submit it!
Organizations may submit a maximum of two abstracts.
- Presentations that market specific products, vendors, and services will not be accepted.
- All of the organizations, activities, and projects mentioned by the proposal must consent to being included in the proposal and potential presentation at the 2024 AMPO Planning Tools and Training Symposium.
A good proposal for the AMPO Planning Tools and Training Symposium should address the 3Ps (Purpose, People, and Process).
- Demonstrate Relevance: Clearly articulate how your presentation is relevant to MPO (Metropolitan Planning Organization) practitioners. Explain how the information or tools you will provide address current issues and challenges faced by MPOs. Emphasize the practical applications and benefits that participants will gain from attending your session.
- Show the broader impact: Explain how your research or work contributes to the field and its potential broader impact. Discuss implications for theory, practice, or policy. Consider highlighting any potential applications, benefits, or collaborations that could arise from your work.
- Enable Action: Describe how your presentation will empower participants to take action and improve their day-to-day operations. Highlight specific skills, techniques, or knowledge that attendees will acquire by the end of the session. Ensure that participants will leave with actionable insights that they can implement effectively.
- Link to Day-to-Day Issues: Explain how your presentation directly connects to the day-to-day issues and responsibilities of MPO practitioners. Illustrate how the content will address their challenges, improve decision-making, or enhance their work processes. Demonstrate a clear understanding of the practical realities and constraints faced by MPO professionals and the MPO Board.
- Effective Communication: Describe how you will effectively communicate the benefits and lessons learned to the participants. Outline your strategies for delivering the content in a concise and engaging manner. Consider utilizing storytelling, case studies, or real-world examples to make the information relatable and easily understood.
- Engaging Activities and Demonstrations: Explain the activities or demonstrations you will incorporate into your presentation to actively engage the participants. Describe how these interactive elements will reinforce the concepts and allow for hands-on learning experiences. Highlight any unique approaches or methodologies that you will employ to create an engaging and interactive session.
- Practical Methodologies, Tips, and Tools: Clearly outline the practical methodologies, tips, and tools that attendees will gain from your presentation. Explain how these resources will assist them in overcoming challenges or improving their work processes. Emphasize the practicality and applicability of the techniques and tools you will share.
- Learning Aids and Resources: Mention any resources, materials, or learning aids that you will provide to participants to support their learning and implementation. This could include handouts, templates, guides, or online resources that will enhance their understanding and facilitate application after the session.
- Interactivity: Describe how you will make the presentation interactive and encourage active participation from attendees. Explain how you will incorporate discussions, Q&A sessions, group exercises, or technology platforms to foster engagement and create a collaborative learning environment.
By addressing the 3Ps and considering the specific needs and expectations of MPO practitioners, your proposal will effectively demonstrate that your presentation will provide valuable information, tools, and practical insights to the participants at the AMPO Planning Tools and Training Symposium.
Vendor Roadshow Prospectus
Be one of the first to showcase your products and/or services at the 2024 AMPO Planning Tools & Training Symposium in Albuquerque, New Mexico, from May 6-9, 2024!
AMPO is pleased to announce that this year’s symposium programming will incorporate (6) Vendor Roadshow Opportunities. Vendor Roadshows are a unique platform for vendors to showcase their innovative products/services, equipping MPOs with the tools they need to tackle the latest industry challenges head-on.
Vendor Roadshows not only provide you unrivaled exposure with an intimate audience of up to 150 MPO staff and practitioners from across the country, but also an opportunity to network firsthand with attendees at a vendor tabletop on the day of your presentation.
Presentation format includes a 30-minute conference time slot, consisting of a 15-minute presentation, a 10-minute Q&A session, and a 5-minute electronic evaluation feedback form. Vendors will be selected based upon their ability to deliver adaptable solutions, ensuring that all attendees depart with actionable ideas, regardless of their scale or budget. In return, AMPO will also share attendee feedback from customized electronic evaluation forms collected after each presentation.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to showcase your solutions, connect with industry leaders, and elevate your brand among industry professionals. The total cost of each Vendor Roadshow Opportunity is $6,000.
Please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.