SYRACUSE METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION COUNCIL
Planning Positions: Entry and/or Mid Level
The Syracuse Metropolitan Transportation Council (SMTC) is seeking qualified applicants for one to two positions. The SMTC is the designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Onondaga County and small portions of Madison and Oswego Counties.
Desirable Skills and Abilities
These positions require an experienced (mid-level position) and motivated transportation and/or planning professional with an ability to interpret data and communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
The major work areas for the position(s) include participating in transportation planning studies, meeting the needs of the SMTC’s member agencies, and fulfilling requirements of the MPO process. The position(s) require knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of transportation and land use planning and the municipal planning process. Documented knowledge of current planning trends and strong writing skills are expected. Experience with and understanding of MPO operations and processes is a plus.
The ideal candidate(s) will have some combination of the skills below; all skills not expected.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of transportation and land use planning and the municipal planning process. Documented knowledge of current planning trends and strong writing skills.
• Traffic and Data Analysis: Familiarity with traffic analysis concepts and data will be beneficial. Working knowledge of software relevant to transportation planning and how it is applied to projects is also a benefit (i.e. Geographic Information Systems (GIS), HCS, Synchro, or TransCAD). Proficiency with MS Excel is expected; experience with MS Access is desirable.
• Communication: Strong written and verbal communication skills, especially the ability to convey technical information and data in a way that is easily understood by a non-technical audience.
Candidates for mid-level position should have demonstrated public speaking skills. Experience with public engagement such as presentations, focus groups, small-group forums, open houses, etc., (both in-person and using virtual public involvement tools) is a plus.
• Visualization: Preferred candidates should possess a basic level of user proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud.
Candidates with a demonstrated ability to create more advanced graphics, illustrations, and photo simulations, especially for transportation-related projects, in Illustrator and/or Photoshop, and ability to complete reports in InDesign are highly desirable.
• Project management: For mid-level position, candidates should have some experience/familiarity with managing planning projects from scoping through final report completion, including a public engagement process.
The position(s) are expected to be filled at either the entry or mid-level, depending on qualifications and applicant pool. The current salary ranges are:
• Entry Transportation Planner: $47,859 – $58,160
• Mid-level Transportation Planner: $59,425 – $69,175
Starting salary will be dependent on experience and qualifications.
The SMTC provides a competitive benefit package including Medical and Dental Insurance, participation in the NYS Retirement System, and an optional Deferred Compensation Plan.
At minimum, the ideal candidate shall have a four-year degree in Planning (Urban and Regional or Transportation), Geography, Landscape Architecture, Civil/Traffic Engineering, or a closely related field.
• Entry level position: preference to relevant internship or similar relevant experience.
• Mid-level Transportation Planner should have 3 years of directly related relevant experience OR (b) a master’s degree in any of the above fields plus at least 1 year of directly related relevant experience (quality internships qualify as experience).
How to Apply
Interested candidates should forward a letter of interest, resume, salary requirements and three (3) professional references to: Director, SMTC, 100 Clinton Square, 126 N. Salina Street, Suite 100, Syracuse, New York 13202, or e-mail to email@example.com.
All applicants should be eligible to work in the U.S. without VISA sponsorship. Applicants invited to interview will be asked to provide a writing sample and will be encouraged to provide a sample of previous graphics/report layout work if applicable.
Should an employment offer be made, position(s) require physically working in the SMTC office.
The position(s) is open until filled.
For a description of the SMTC please visit our website at www.smtcmpo.org.
Job Type: In office.
Link to Job Solicitation (PDF): Click Here
Link to Job Posting: Click Here