Hampden, Maine is a town in Northern Penobscot County with a population of approximately 7,887. Considered a bedroom community to Bangor, we are within minutes of all the offerings of the city. From the starting point of a smaller, close-knit community, you can still enjoy all the amenities. We are just minutes from Interstate 95, Routes 2, 9 and 1-A making access to all points in Maine extremely easy. Hampden is well known for top notch Hampden Academy and the town offers a wide array of municipal services to its residents. We have a full-time police and fire department, a capable public works department, community library, community pool, and a very active recreation department among quick and efficient town office services. Hampden is a town where you can get to know your neighbors, whether in our suburban ‘town center’ or in the rural areas. It is a place where you can live, work, and play, and we are looking for you to join us!
A brief job description is listed below, but for a complete job description, please visit our website.
The Town Planner position is responsible for the administration of a major department of the Town of Hampden. The Planning Department is responsible for planning and development services including maintaining a streamlined permitting process, development review, long-range planning, zoning, grants administration, assisting with economic development, and coordination with Town personnel and officials. The Town Planner is expected to be a resourceful problem-solver and have an entrepreneurial approach to enhancing development opportunities consistent with the Town’s policy objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Planning Board & Development Review
The Town Planner is responsible for staffing the Planning Board. This includes attendance at bi-monthly meetings, processing applications, and guiding the review of applications that come in front of the Board. Planning Board responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
– Regular coordination and communication with Planning Board Chair regarding ongoing Town projects and Town updates.
– Directs the preparation and distribution of meeting agendas and other materials by the Administrative Assistant. This includes posting application and meeting materials to the Town website and preparing public notices as needed. Review development proposals for compliance with Town ordinances and regulations.
– Convene regular meetings of staff review committee comprised of Town personnel involved with the development review process (i.e., public works, public safety, code enforcement).
– Act as liaison with Departments of Public Works, Public Safety and other staff as appropriate for peer review of applications.
– Establish and monitor peer review escrow accounts for project review and construction oversight, including closing out accounts upon project completion.
– Process Improvement Guarantee vehicles (bonds, letter of credit, cash, etc.) and monitor timetable when such guarantees may be reduced/returned to the developer.
– Coordinate Town Attorney review of deeds/easements as required for development projects.
– Prepare information and staff reports for Planning Board consideration related to agenda topics.
– Provide information for Planning Board review and consideration from Council-directed amendments to Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance and Shoreland Zoning Ordinance
– Prepare Planning Board Orders including Findings and Conditions for review, modification and action by the Planning Board.
– Create and maintain a database of development projects that are in the pre-permitting, permitting, and construction stage.
– Assists the CED Director to explain and administer Town zoning/subdivision and other ordinance/regulatory requirements and procedures and assist applicants and property owners in understanding the requirements and procedures.
– Respond to requests for land use data, demographics, municipal information and public records.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants may apply by sending a letter of interest, completed Town application and resume.
Please send to:
Town Planner Search
Paula Scott, Town Manager
106 Western Avenue
Job Type: Hybrid.
Link to Job Posting & How to Apply: Click Here