GIS Analyst, Data Analysis
GIS Analyst I: $49,801-$74,702
GIS Analyst II: $60,506-$90,759
GIS Analyst III: $66,739-$100,108
*Depending On Qualifications, with annual performance-based merit increase program
First Review of Applications: December 5, 2023 (open until filled)
Role and Responsibilities
SEMCOG (EOE) is seeking two (2) experienced professionals with relevant Geographic Information Systems (GIS) experience to join the Data Analysis team, in support of our work in forecasting, transportation planning, data analysis, and modeling. At SEMCOG, GIS Analysts update geospatial data, produce maps to explain data sets using GIS software, and develop applications for data analysis. GIS Analysts focus on providing updates on authoritative geographic data, seeking updates and tools regarding mapping and analysis, and supporting the agency’s demographic, employment and land-use forecast modeling.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a strong work ethic and comfort working both independently and as part of a team; have an understanding of GIS Data and software concepts; well-developed organization and time management skills; to ensure timely completion and delivery of work, be detailed, self-motivated, and capable of working on multiple tasks; excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills to interact and work with a range of internal and external stakeholders both virtually and in-person.
This will include a focus on inclusivity to ensure meeting the vision, “All people in Southeast Michigan benefit from a connected, thriving region of small towns, dynamic urban centers, active waterfronts, diverse neighborhoods, premier educational institutions, and abundant agricultural, recreational and natural areas.” Employment offers of I, II or III will be commensurate with applicant experience and qualifications. This position offers employee development and promotional opportunities.
Experience and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, or a related field.
• Knowledge of GIS data and software concepts.
• Experience using ArcGIS Pro, creating ArcGIS metadata, and maintaining GIS data.
• Experience with Postgres or Microsoft SQL Server databases preferred (writing SQL queries).
• Familiar with roads and highways file and attributes preferred.
• Knowledge and experience with cadastral data including reading parcel legal descriptions preferred.
• Effective written, verbal, public speaking, and presentation skills required, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Support and promote a strong internal culture based on SEMCOG core values and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives.
SEMCOG reserves the right to waive any of the minimum qualifications for applicants whose general or specific qualifications would otherwise qualify the applicant for the position or lead SEMCOG to believe that the applicant is capable of performing the assigned duties and fulfilling the assigned responsibilities.
Total Compensation = $119,767 (Assumes midpoint of salary range and family enrollment in medical, dental, and vision insurances.)
In addition to the annual base salary, SEMCOG offers a valuable mix of health and fringe benefits! Here’s an estimate of Total Compensation, including salary and benefits, for the GIS Analyst position. On average, employee benefits account for 43% of Total Compensation.
Additional Benefits & Programs
• Flex Time (Core work hours: 9:00 am – 3:30 pm)
• Hybrid Work Environment (A blend of virtual and in-person work. Michigan residency required.)
• Employee Assistance Program
• Tuition Assistance
• Paid Jury Duty
• Transit/Parking Assistance
Join us! How to Apply
Please email employment application, cover letter and résumé to SEMCOG Human Resources Department, Careers@semcog.org.
Job Type: Hybrid.
Link to Job Description and How to Apply (PDF): Click Here
Link to Job Posting: Click Here