About Houston-Galveston Area Council
The Houston-Galveston Area Council is one of the largest regional planning commissions in the country with a diverse service area of 13 counties and more than 7 million people. We are the pulse of our region addressing issues that cross city limits and county lines every single day.
We make decisions that affect our transportation system, ensure the safety and well-being of our seniors, connect people to jobs, help families recover from natural disasters, preserve water quality for our children, and so much more. We work to make the region a great place to live, work, and thrive.
What will I be doing?
• Develop and manage the regional and sub-regional demographic, economic and land use forecasting models and tools for transportation planning, economic development, flood mitigation and community and environmental planning.
• Manage demographic, economic, residential, and commercial property databases.
• Manage projects, prioritize and implement model development and application, and collaborate with other teams as well as external stakeholders.
• Quality control to ensure the accuracy and integrity of data and providing innovative solutions to improve forecasting efforts is an integral part of this job.
• Provide technical and analytical support and serve as a point of contact for internal and external request for data.
• Demonstrated experience in applying and maintaining regional and sub-regional demographic, economic, and land use models.
• Strong experience in reading and writing Python scripts for data processing and management is crucial for success in this role.
• Solid experience in research, data collection, and analysis. Skilled in interpreting data and compiling comprehensive technical reports and presentations.
• Proven ability to collaborate effectively across various disciplines, including urban planning, environmental studies, social sciences, and transportation.
• Creative and analytical approach to solving complex problems, especially in land use and regional planning.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, capable of conveying complex data and analytical concepts to diverse audiences, including non-technical stakeholders.
• Experience with statistical and data analysis techniques.
• Quick learner with the ability to adapt to new tools and methodologies in the dynamic field of land use analysis.
• Ability to manage time and projects efficiently, focusing on accuracy and detail in a fast-paced environment. Capable of working on multiple projects simultaneously.
Do you have…
• Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, economics, geography, environmental studies, data science, statistics, or a related field of study.
• 5 years of experience working with local government, nonprofit programs, school or in job related duties
• Master’s degree in urban planning, economics, transportation, geography, environmental studies, data science, statistics, or a related field.
• Knowledge of regional simulation modeling tools like UrbanSim is highly valued.
• Experience in SAS/R programming for data analysis
• Strong skills in spatial data technologies and GIS
Job Type: Hybrid.
Link to Job Posting: Click Here
Link to Apply for Job: Click Here