Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization
A conference attendee from this organization will be available to discuss this position with interested parties: Doug Plachcinski@dchcmpo.org
Location: Durham, N.C./Hybrid
Analyst, Engineer, Planner, Mid Level
Job description: The Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is the regional transportation planning agency in North Carolina’s western Triangle. The MPO is responsible for planning and programming all modes of transportation including highways, public transit, freight, bicycles, and pedestrians. Our work is regionally based, but community focused. The MPO formulates and implements plans that improve life locally and ensure that these plans reflect our member communities’ collective vision.
About the Position This position provides regional transportation planning and modeling support in a formally designated Transportation Management Area that encompasses the western part of the Research Triangle including the city of Durham and the Towns of Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, and Carrboro. The successful candidate will understand advanced data collection, performance measures, model development & applications, and how support to MPO projects, studies, programs, and plans, such as congestion management planning, transportation improvement programming, and metropolitan transportation planning.
Responsible for developing, updating, and maintaining computer models and programs; developing and maintaining the MPO information including data collection; serving as project manager for technology projects; providing modeling and technical support for studies, programs, and plans; and leading intern staff work.
As assigned, the modeler leads projects, assigns work, and monitors task completion.
Description of Work
• Develops and maintains the MPO data management system to include developing data collection and processing procedures, conducting needs assessments, and developing and tracking system performance measures.
• Provides support to Congestion Management Process (CMP) and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) projects and plan.
• May update and maintain computer models and programs; provides modeling support for transportation studies, programs and plans; prepares forecasts; analyzes the model results and policy-related data; conducts traffic simulation studies and testing scenarios; and reports model results.
• Analyzes highly technical data; develops and makes recommendations for technical projects; reviews work and the work of others to ensure accuracy; Prepares, maintains, and/or reviews technical and other reports, records, and documents.
• Manages for technology projects; evaluates and recommends project priorities; determines project scope; identifies project cost and budget; monitors staff or consultant work and participation in project; reviews deliverables and makes recommendations for improvements; and ensures adherence to project schedules, budgets, and other applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
• May prepare and present material to elected officials, DCHCMPO Technical Coordinating Committee, as well as lead the work of staff and/or interns to include monitoring and directing work activities, managing schedules, mentoring, and coaching. Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, and/or applied mathematics.
• Five (5) years of professional experience that includes one or more of the following: traffic analysis & simulation, intelligent transportation systems, congestion management process, travel demand modeling, data analysis and interpretation, and computer programming (or an equivalent combination of graduate study/education and directly related work experience).
Additional Preferred Skills
• Experience in travel demand modeling and/or traffic simulation modeling. (TransCAD with GISDK or TransCAD)
• Familiarity with Intelligent Transportation Systems.
• Computer programming/scripting skills (JAVA, C++, Python, R or similar).
• Database programming and statistics.
• Geography Information Systems (GIS).
Salary & Benefits
• Hiring Range: $65,075 – $82,977
(Employee will be eligible for a 5% increase after completing a 6-month probation.)
Benefits: The Triangle J Council of Governments offers a generous benefits package including paid vacation and sick leave; NC Local Government Retirement System; 5% 401(k) employer contribution; employer-paid health, dental, vision and life insurance; health spending account, flexible spending account for child/dependent care expenses; and flexible schedules and hybrid work environment.
Our Organization Providing a platform for collaboration among local governments, stakeholders, and partners in our diverse region of NC. See our work at centralpinesnc.gov
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com