U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) air quality programs and resources
For more information on these topics, visit the FHWA’s air quality website, which provides in depth information, including laws and regulations, policy and guidance, resources, research, training, and guidance materials. https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/air_quality/index.cfm
- Helps ensure transportation activities are consistent with air quality goals.
- Applies to transportation plans, the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), and projects using FHWA and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) funds in nonattainment and maintenance areas.
- Hazardous air pollutants (HAPs) that are known or suspected of causing cancer or other serious health ailments.
Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ):
- Provides funding to address challenging in attaining or maintaining the National Ambient Air Quality Standards for ozone, carbon monoxide, and or particulate matter.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) air quality programs and resources
For more information on these topics, visit the links below, which provide in depth information, guidance and resources.
- Air Quality Designations for Particle Pollution: https://www.epa.gov/particle-pollution-designations
- Hazardous Air Pollutants: https://www.epa.gov/haps
- Mobile Source Pollution and Related Health Effects: https://www.epa.gov/mobile-source-pollution
- National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) and Nonattainment Designations:
- Criteria Pollutants: https://www.epa.gov/criteria-air-pollutants
- Nonattainment Areas for Criteria Pollutants: https://www.epa.gov/green-book
- NAAQS Designation Process: https://www.epa.gov/criteria-air-pollutants/naaqs-designations-process
- NAAQS Table: https://www.epa.gov/criteria-air-pollutants/naaqs-table
- Emissions Modeling: https://www.epa.gov/air-emissions-modeling
- Motor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES) and other Mobile Source Emissions Models: https://www.epa.gov/moves
- Resources: https://www.epa.gov/state-and-local-transportation
- Air Quality Conformity Brochure https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/air_quality/conformity/con_broc.cfm
- Air Quality Planning and State Implementation Plans https://www.epa.gov/air-quality-implementation-plans
- EPA Air Now https://www.airnow.gov/
- Multijurisdictional Complex Areas: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ENVIRONMENT/air_quality/conformity/research/complex_areas
- Ozone Designation https://www.epa.gov/ozone-designations/ozone-designations-guidance-and-data
- Project Level Conformity
AMPO Air Quality Comments
- Implementation of the 8-hour ozone and fine particulate standard [DOC]
- Transportation Conformity Rule Amendments issued on June 30, 2003 [DOC]
- Transportation Conformity Rule Amendments for the new 8-Hour Ozone and PM2.5 National Ambient Air Quality Standards [DOC]