The AMPO GIS and Data Visualization Working Group seeks to build capacity amongst MPOs and advance the state of practice for GIS capabilities within MPOs. Emerging technology, big data, shared mobility, and consumer preference are fundamentally changing the transportation network in many metropolitan areas throughout the country. In addition, MPOs are planning for activities that go well beyond the traditional federal requirements. As a result, GIS has become a critical element of the metropolitan transportation planning process. Focus areas to be addressed include, but are not limited to…
- Best practices
- GIS analysis
- Data acquisition and management
- Data partnerships
- New technologies, services, and application development
In 2012, Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21) emphasized the importance of transportation performance management by introducing performance measures to be integrated into the transportation planning process. GIS will serve as a critical tool as these measures and subsequent targets are developed and reevaluated on an ongoing basis.
Provide a forum for peer exchange and sharing of GIS tools, best practices, guidance, and resources that support:
- Advancing the state of practice as it relates to data, map, and application development;
- Integrating GIS capabilities into the metropolitan planning process;
- Coordinating with a diverse group of multi-jurisdictional policymakers and stakeholders;
- Developing strategies, techniques, and methods to meet the diverse needs of MPO stakeholders, projects, programs, and activities;
- Identifying opportunities, challenges, needs, and emerging issues as they relate to GIS, data, mapping, and application development;
- Communicating and sharing best practices, guidance, resources, and activities with other MPOs and at transportation planning events, as appropriate; and
- Communicating and sharing best practices, guidance, resources, and activities with, AASHTO, FHWA, FTA, and regional planning partners, as appropriate.
GIS and Data Visualization Discussion Forum
Join the GIS and Data Visualization Working Group leadership team and its members on the My AMPO discussion forum. Click My AMPO on the top right side of this page and log in to join the discussion. If you have any questions, click the how-to instructions below.
- Jenny Wallace, Denver Regional Council of Governments
- Mara Kaminowitz, Baltimore Metropolitan Council
- Ann Burns, Southeast Michigan Council of Governments
- Cecilio Martinez, Alamo Area Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Mark Sarmiento: Mark.Sarmiento@dot.gov
- Caitlin Cook: firstname.lastname@example.org