The Wilmington Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (WMPO) is a federally mandated and federally funded entity, housed within the City of Wilmington, that is tasked with providing regional and cooperative transportation planning that serves as the basis for the expenditure of all federal transportation funds within its planning area boundary. The current WMPO planning area boundary encompasses 494 square miles and is home to an estimated 300,000 residents in 3 counties and 7 municipalities.
The WMPO is required to perform long-range planning and technical services functions within its planning boundary. These functions include preparing a Metropolitan Transportation Plan and other long range transportation plans, an annual planning work program, assisting with the prioritization of projects for inclusion in the State Transportation Improvement Program, coordination of Traffic Impact Analyses, maintaining a Congestion Management Process, and allocating Direct Attributable funding in the region.
The position of Associate Planner is responsible for assisting in the implementation of the short- and long-term objectives and activities of a specific department division. This is accomplished by completing assigned tasks and projects; interpreting and applying plans, ordinances, and other policies; presenting data and information through written and oral presentations; and ensuring compliance with all codes, plans, policies, and standards.
* Assists members of the public and partner agencies with planning issues and questions by responding to questions and inquiries and providing information.
* Acts as liaison to committees and the public by developing and presenting information, meeting with citizens and property owners, reviewing public input for incorporation into codes and/or policies, organizing and facilitating public meetings, and presenting information to management, committee members, boards, commissions, and elected officials.
* Assists in policy development by researching and identifying trends; organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data; and researching local, state, and federal regulations;.
* Coordinates data collection and publications by creating and coordinating geographic data and maps and developing and tracking metrics.
* Ensures that information is made available to the public by developing and publishing information through methods such as the organization’s website, social media accounts, and other public facing platforms.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
* Assists in developing, implementing, and tracking long-range transportation plans, studies and reports as necessary, while coordinating with a variety of stakeholders, including but not limited to; other departments; local, state and federal agencies.
* Assists in identifying and prioritizing local transportation planning and project needs.
* Reviews development projects for consistency with existing transportation plans and potential impacts.
* Manages capital improvement projects related to transportation initiatives.
Education and Related Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in transportation planning , urban & regional planning, public administration, or a closely related field and a minimum one year of related experience OR master’s degree in one of the above-listed fields and no experience.
* Knowledge of the principles and practices of planning.
* Knowledge of one or more planning disciplines/areas of specialty such as land use planning/zoning, transportation planning, environmental planning, urban design, housing, or economic development.
* Methods of effective report preparation and presentation.
* Citizen involvement techniques and processes.
* Principles and practices of research and data collection.
* Computer programs and applications, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, internet applications, and geographic information systems (GIS).
* Knowledge of transportation planning principles and practices and ability to review and interpret traffic data.
* Ability to communicate and foster a cooperative and professional culture.
* Ability to work on several projects simultaneously and meet firm deadlines.
* Effective written and verbal communication skills.
* Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve practical problems and address citizen inquiries and concerns.
* Effective interpersonal skills to develop good working relationships with staff, elected/appointed officials, residents, and other stakeholders.
* Ability to review plans and apply ordinance provisions to determine compliance with regulations and apply regulations to field conditions.
* Ability to attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind.
* Ability to facilitate in-person and virtual public participation activities, including small group facilitation as part of community workshops.
Valid NC Driver’s License
Our Core Values: INCLUSION | COLLABORATION | CREATIVITY | ACCOUNTABILITY
Our Mission Statement: Through forward-thinking policies and responsible stewardship, we are creating a better city every day with excellent core services and quality of life for all.
What we offer:
The City of Wilmington believes that employees are one of our most important resources. We offer an excellent salary and competitive benefits package to serve the needs of our employees and their families. Our benefits package includes:
* Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance + many other insurance options
* Excellent retirement benefits, including a city provided 4.5% contribution each pay period into a 401(k) or 457 account and automatic enrollment into the North Carolina Local Government Employees’ Retirement System
* Employer-paid health & wellness clinic
* Paid sick and vacation leave + 13 paid holidays per year
* 6-weeks paid parental leave
* Paid volunteer & blood donation leave to give back to our community
* Flex schedule and telework availability, depending on your position
* Professional development trainings & leadership initiatives
* Tuition assistance benefits
Applicant Status Updates: After the closing date for this position, applications will be screened by Human Resources. Applicants who meet the minimum and/or preferred qualifications will be referred over to the hiring department. All updates regarding an application can be viewed through your applicant portal.
Job Type: In office. Hybrid. Remote
Link to Job Posting: Click Here
Link to Apply for Job: Click Here