THURSTON REGIONAL PLANNING COUNCIL
ASSISTANT PLANNER – COMMUTE TRIP REDUCTION
Thurston Regional Planning Council (TRPC) is seeking a motivated Assistant Planner to join our Commute Trip Reduction (CTR) program, which works with local partners to promote transportation options, reduce car trips, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions across the Thurston Region. Under general supervision of the Planning Manager, the Assistant Planner will primarily work with the CTR Senior Planner on a variety of tasks supporting TRPC’s Commute Trip Reduction program. Tasks may include outreach, analysis, inquiry, and some administrative duties.
TRPC believes in fostering a supportive work environment for staff, which values diverse points of view, inclusion, belonging, and autonomy. We are dedicated in developing a diverse workforce who value their work and are committed to TRPC’s mission and core values. For more information visit www.trpc.org or phone (360) 956-7575. This position will remain open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to submit their application by September 30, 2023. Please list the position title Assistant Planner – CTR in your application materials.
TRPC is a Regional Transportation Planning Organization and Metropolitan Planning Organization governed by a 23-member intergovernmental board. Located in Olympia, Washington, TRPC is approximately 60 miles south of Seattle and 120 miles north of Portland, Oregon. Residents of the region enjoy a high quality of life and reasonable cost of living amid beautiful natural surroundings. With a current county-wide population of around 303,400, we are one of the fastest growing regions in Washington, making our area an exciting place for regional planning.
We encourage potential applicants to apply even though they may not satisfy every qualification listed. TRPC is dedicated in finding the right candidate for the job. If you meet the minimum requirements and have a real interest in planning, please submit your application.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
• Able to collaborate with team members and is adaptable to change
• A genuine interest in alternative forms of transportation and regional planning
• Knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Word
• Ability to conduct research to support project tasks
• Experience in public engagement working with multiple partners and diverse stakeholders
• A strong desire to serve the public interest
• Bachelor’s degree or 2 year-degree
For the position of Assistant Planner, the candidate will have at a minimum:
• A bachelor’s degree or 2-year degree in planning, public administration, environmental studies, geography, political science, transportation, or a closely related field
• One year of professional experience
Any demonstrated combination of experience and education, which provides the applicant with the required knowledge and abilities.
The Assistant Planner is an entry-level position that operates under the direct supervision of the Planning Manager with general guidance from TRPC’s CTR Senior Planner. This position will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects and duties with a primary focus on the Commute Trip Reduction (CTR) program. Tasks may include:
• Assist in administering the CTR survey and program reports
• Conduct outreach to prospective stakeholders regarding commute options
• Update CTR database and contacts
• Create display and website materials to advertise and promote transportation options
• Develop social media content for the CTR program
• Participate in multimodal planning activities
A successful candidate could expect to:
• Work under minimal supervision
• Serve as project support and potentially manage non-complex projects
• Work within a team environment
• Juggle multiple tasks and competing deadlines
• Communicate and interact with staff at public, private, and non-profit organizations and the public
The salary range for the Assistant Planner position is $5,446 – $6,801 per month. Salary placement within the range is dependent on qualifications.
TRPC offers a full benefits package which includes:
Work-Life Balance: supports flexible work schedules, telecommuting, membership to Employee Assistance Program
Retirement: employees are participants in the Washington State PERS system and Deferred
Health Insurance: employer paid health insurance for individuals and generous coverage for dependents through Washington State’s Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB)
Paid Leave: 11 paid holidays, including 1 floating holiday
Find full application information and materials on the agency’s website at www.trpc.org, or phone Thurston Regional Planning Council at (360) 956-7575. Email application materials to HR@trpc.org. Thurston Regional Planning Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity throughout the organization. If special accommodations to apply for this position are needed, please telephone and ask for our ADA Coordinator. For TDD users, please use the State’s toll-free relay service by calling (800) 833-6388 and ask the operator to dial (360) 956-7575.
To be considered, applicants must submit all the following:
1. Letter of interest that addresses how your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities make you an ideal candidate for the position.
3. Completed TRPC application.
During the recruitment process, applicants may make inquiries by e-mail to HR@trpc.org. The most qualified applicants will be invited to take part in an interview process.
Reference checks are part of TRPC’s recruitment process, subject to state law.